Mt Mansfield

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

king tut

Reaction score
After having the flu for the last week and feeling utterly exhausted, I decided that I needed to get out and get some exercise. Saturday was looking like the day to go ahead and get some fresh air. I was not sure where I was going to go, but I had some cravings similar to a pregnant woman, that I needed to go to Mt Mansfield. For the last several months on the drive into work I could see Mt Mansfield looming in the distance like a sleeping giant, beckoning me to come out and play. I had to tell it NO, as I needed to collect a paycheck. It had been a while since I had been on top of Mansfield, about five years to be exact. Similarly, I just had my five year college re-union, and I found the two to be quite similar. I was seeing old friends that I had not conversed with in many years.

Saturday morning I headed out to Underhill State Park around 6:40 in the morning. It was only a 25 mile/40 minute drive, which was good as I did not want to drive far as my energy level was still sapped. I got to the park just before 7:30 as I downed my normal McDonald's breakfast. Not healthy, but jam packed full of artery clogging goodness with lots of calories!! I decided to take the Sunset Ridge Trail up the Mountain, because I like the above treeline ridge that is encountered 2/3 of the way up. It was a moderate pace up the mountain, but I still felt tired. I stopped and took the .2 mile spur over to Cantilever Rock, to visit some old memories. It was about 5 years ago that I did this hike with some friends. One I just heard from, the other I may never hear from again, but good memories flooded my brain. I stopped and sat on the large boulder across from Cantilever Rock and thought about where I am in life, opposed to how different things were 5 years ago. I could see my friends taking pictures on their disposable cameras of this area with each other in the shot, this scene flashed in my mind like it was today, rather than five years ago. I knew exactly where each person stood and what happened, memories engrained in my brain. I took a look across the Green Mountain range south towards Camel's Hump, and admired the ripple of the mountains that protruded out from the farm land on the sides. After 15 minutes of this, I decided it was time to head back on to the trail.

The rest of the climb up Sunset Ridge was rather uneventful. The weather was cool and very cloudy. This on a day when the weatherman said that it was supposed to be 85 and partly sunny. I was not happy with him. I made my way up to the Chin and hung out at the summit for 10 minutes or so and soaked in the partial view of Mt Mansfield and Stowe. The view was quite majestic and I snapped several pictures. I could see all the ski trails and it made me think of the several times that I skiied at Stowe back in College. Quite a few great care free memories of zipping down the mountain with reckless abandon. After taking in these memories, I head across the ridge. I would guess that it is a mile or 2 across the ridge. It went by very quickly. I passed an older gentleman on the way across. He did not hear me, but only saw me when I went by him. He was quite startled! But it was joyful to see him out there at his age enjoying nature.

Shortly, I came out to the top of the toll road. I went inside for a few minutes and relaxed. There was a hippie with a beard inside, he may have been hiking the Long Trail. I gave him the customary nod and went on my way. Today was a day when I didn't really feel like talking to people. I had been oversatured with people for the last several months and had been yearning to get away from it all. I made my way up to the Nose next, and noticed a new construction project. I'm not sure what was being built, but a rather large building it looked like. I'm normally not opposed to development but I was rather annoyed that I could not climb up to the top of the Nose because of all of the Towers and buildings in the way. Like the Indian who is saddened by litterers, I cried one single tear drop as it fell down my face.

My next destination was the Forehead. The Forehead is a nice exposed area that has great views of the whole range. I got to the top and ate my lunch of leftover chicken fingers and a banana. Quite yummy! While on top, I was reminded of my first Mansfield hike with my college ski team. It was in the fall and we got to this area and had a great snowball fight. After my brief lunch, I headed down the Maple Ridge trail. This trail is quite steep and has some exposed areas. It is not recomended for descent on a rainy day. It has 3-4 areas of 20-30 foot climbs of 50-60 degree rock walls. I was quite impressed to see a dog climbing up one of these about 1/2 way down. The descent got a little wet about 1/2 way down and was a bit tricky coming down Maple Ridge to the CCC road. I slipped once and tweaked my back a little bit, but after the initial twinge, I was fine.

The walk out on the CCC road was gentle and a good way to end the day. All in all, it was around 8 or 9 miles I guess?? I wasn't really keeping count. Somewhere around 2800 or so vertical. It was a nice day to get outside and clear my head from illness and the somewhat urban lifestyle. Something about being sick and tired made me moody last week, but after getting out and breathing in the country air, I felt a lot better. It was a great hike to re-visit an old friend, and remember times past. After being in Vermont for the last several months, it finally felt like I was home.

here are some pics

http://www.parazz.com/albums/kingtut