Mt Marcy in May...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

velodurt

Reaction score
Hi gang, I am planning on hiking Mt Marcy this May...my trip is planned for the 10th-14th. I was hoping anyone in the know might be willing to hazard a guess on conditions by then...just wondering how fast the snow melts once the temps increase. Thanks in advance for any info on trail conditions presently as well. happy hiking, velodurt

velodurt said:
Hi gang, I am planning on hiking Mt Marcy this May...my trip is planned for the 10th-14th. I was hoping anyone in the know might be willing to hazard a guess on conditions by then...just wondering how fast the snow melts once the temps increase. Thanks in advance for any info on trail conditions presently as well. happy hiking, velodurt

About 5 years ago on Memorial weekend we hiked over Haystack through Panther Gorge and we ran into quite a bit of snow! We were able to bareboot but postholed a lot. I can remember running into someone who just hiked Marcy. We ran into them at the four corners and there was a fresh 6 inches of snow on Marcy from the night before. That time of year anything can happen. Sorry I can't help you more :D

1ADAM12 said:
About 5 years ago on Memorial weekend we hiked over Haystack through Panther Gorge and we ran into quite a bit of snow! We were able to bareboot but postholed a lot. I can remember running into someone who just hiked Marcy. We ran into them at the four corners and there was a fresh 6 inches of snow on Marcy from the night before. That time of year anything can happen. Sorry I can't help you more :D
That is all true, but if you start out from the Loj and take the usual trail(s), you will most likely find that the trail is well packed. It might be a good idea to bring stabilicers.

In any case, monitor the trail conditions for Marcy and similar peaks as the day approaches.

Conditions in the Adirondacks are always highly variable, but I'd say mid-May is about the toughest to predict. Could be anything from 70's and sunny with minimal snow to sub-freezing and whiteout conditions. Be prepared for anything, and be flexible with your plans.

Thanks everyone

I appreciate the first-hand experience and advice! Thanks Rankin, for the website links too. I will keep monitoring the weather and conditions. However it turns out, it should be fun!

Well, I skied it Sunday in some of the best powder conditions I've ever enjoyed on the mountain, with top to bottom coverage, and that was April 15th. Hard to imagine this is the same winter that started so miserably back in December and January. Your trip is four weeks away, and lots will melt by then, but I'd bet you'll be looking at mud to 50 meter bridge and an considerable amount of snow above that. Tom's right, I'm sure the spine of the trail will be well-packed, but if you want to be absolutely sure you make the summit, you might want to carry some small snowshoes in case the snow is really soft up high and you start to sink in. (I've seen people cruise along on the packed trail at that time of year and take one step off the spine and sink in up to their thighs...) And don't be surprised if you see skiers up there in May, it's going to be a banner spring!

One May I had to turn around before the summit because everything above tree line was coated with thick ice and we had not brought anything for ice (stupid-learned that lesson). I've also been up Marcy in May and only saw some pockets of lingering snow. All depends on the year. This last cold front and new snow may come in to play this year. I hope things melt off relatively quickly because I too am hoping to hike it again this May with a group. Late May.

Postpone until later?

Hi again gang, I am contemplating postponing my Marcy trip until later this summer, in hopes of "better" conditions. I am also climbing Mt Rogers in Virginia this year, and the plan was to climb it in late June (rhododendron bloom)...but, I am thinking perhaps I should flip the two climbs and do Rogers this May and Marcy in June. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks to all of you for your insight! ~Cyd

www.naturalbornhikers.com