Mt. Monadnock via SMG and Dublin

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackBuffalo

Reaction score
12/05

Trail Conditions: Lots of thick, smooth ice covering rocks half way up.

Special Equipment Required: Stableicers or crampons for the experienced few on purely ice.

Comments: Got a late start 12:15pm. Never been on this route before. Looked for the Pumpelly trailhead, but found the trail crossing the Old Marlbourough Rd. (smg) and took it up. It met the Dublin trailhead, so up from there. Tons of thick ice flows down the trail. We had traction devices, but we weren't too confident using them on pure steep ice. We barebooted it up to treeline on the edges of the trail, got some good views. Hope we didn't harm any small trees in the process.
Ran into someone who appeared very agile with stablicers. He said we might have been 20 minutes from the summit (not at our pace). We decided to make the turn and head down. We figured it was a great enough day out away from work. I've used my crampons on crunchy snow and snow on ice, but without confidence on steep ice, I'd only be risking my neck.