Mt. Moosilauke and South Peak via Glencliff Trail on 2-3-13

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunshine Chris

Reaction score
2-3-13 Sunday
Trail Conditions: light dusting of snow with patches of ice down low with roots, gravel and rocks showing, Packed granular surface through the middle with significant ice flow patches off and on, steeps on way to ridge were mostly snow covered trail with some ice, ridge trail to summit packed snow with 2-3 inches new powder on top with some frozen postholes, annoying rocks and ice patches. About 3 downed trees, 2 step overs and one straddle to get over with another tree walk around (no problems though getting over or around).

Special Equipment: Used old micro-spikes down low, switched to new spikes throughout the middle of the Glencliff Trail and on to the summit. South peak was fine in spikes or bare booting. Put on crampons for the top 1/2 of the Glencliff trail on the way down. Those in spikes were picking and choosing their path more carefully and hugging trees in spots. Crampons made it way easier. One in the group I hiked down with had on Hillsounds and they worked fine too. Snowshoes totally unnecessary if you had spikes or crampons.

Comments: Hadn't been back to the Moose since May 24th, 1998 ( my first solo hike) so this was my 15 year reunion. Not sure why I didn't come back long before now. A new favorite for me! I was surprised how much the trees had grown in on the Carriage Rd heading over the ridge to Moose. In 1998 I remember being able to see over the top of them and look at the views around the area. Nice meeting Piere and Camilla? (dog), enjoyed tagging back and forth with a nice couple on the way up (didn't get their names), and got to meet up with Tim Lucia for the first time along with Roberta and her Bermese Mt. dog Heidi along with Keith and Val. Enjoyed hiking down with this last group. It was a great day for a winter hike of the Moose.

Sunshine Chris - I will post a trip report with pics soon under Trip Reports and on New England Trail Conditions too
[email protected]