Mt Moosilauke - Glenncliff Trail & Carriage Rd

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LivesToHike

Reaction score
Southern NH, Avatar: Durand Ridge above King Ravin
Saturday 01/16/2010

Trail Conditions: Packed snow most of the way up Glencliff. A few spots on Glencliff where the ice was showing through on step-up-rocks. Only one downed tree on Glencliff trail, and one bent-over spruce (krummholz variety) on Carriage rd. Summit area was frequently obscured by clouds and blowing freezing fog with wind gusts, probably in the 40mph zone. Trail became vague with blowing snow. Had some difficulty at times discerning cairns from frozen spruces, so staying on trail could be a challenge when cloud /fog cover, which was intermittent, was occurring.

Special Equipment Required: From my viewpoint, a good idea to use snowshoes & poles to keep the trail in good condition, esp with all the melting going on the lower section, and some drifting near summit. But several folks were able to use bareboots with much success. Crampons were useless or at least overkill for trail conditions that day. Saw several folks with microspikes and stablicers, but noticed how much folks slid on microspikes on steeper sections.

Comments: From the Glenciff Trail junction with Carriage Road, maybe a good idea to keep using snowshoes or ski's, as some minor drifting was possible. But again, bareboots certainly do-able. Stepping off the trail by more than a few feet would result in falling in up to one's hips or spruce traps, I think. But I'm only guessing. Saw a few postholes here and there.

Summary: Cold & windy day up on the summit but the exposure area is just over the last bit of the carriage road 1/2 mile or so from the Glencliff junction. Would have liked to stay on summit for winds to blow off clouds, but it was cold, and we needed to keep moving. All-in-all, just a great day to be alive and up hiking on a 4k footer. We all thoroughly enjoyed the hike and look forward to our next winter summit.

Mike (LivesToHike) and 2 friends

Last edited: