Mt Moriah via Carter-Moriah Trail - 7/13/07

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kurchian

Reaction score
The trailhead is unusual as it is in the middle of a neighborhood. I was early enough to park on the left as advised but since the street is narrow I was somewhat uncomfortable parking so close to houses. People were leaving for work and I was careful to not park in an area that would close them in.

The trail is interesting in that it appears to follow the height of land the entire trip up. There are very few switchbacks. This segment of the Carter-Moriah trail is a straight shot up. That means some steep climbing in the second half of the hike. There are a lot of slabs that are fun to walk up but not so fun to walk down if they are wet. Unlike so many mountains in the Whites there are a lot of views, mostly west towards the northern Presidentials.

You’ll pass over Mt . Surprise about halfway up. It isn’t much of a mountain. But it does portend the first of several ups and downs you’ll encounter as you make your way up.

The trail is in fine shape. The few wet spots are easy to get avoid. The summit is a definite “sit and enjoy” spot as it has 360 degree views. The bugs were mildly annoying but not bad enough to slather on the deet.