Mt Shaw and the mystery of the (not) closed trailhead

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buffalo

Reaction score
Janelle and I had the god fortune to hike with the Herr family (including Max) on Saturday up Mt. Shaw near Castle in the Clouds. The day was cold but clear and the sun warmed us for this very nice, mellow hike.

Trip vignette and pic will follow.

Quick word about the Mt. Shaw Trail - the 2010 edition of the AMC Southern NH guide says that this trailhead and lower section of trail is closed and suggests using an alternate route further up the road. The guide I have is from 1999 and just has a trail report so I did not know about the closure.

But, whatever the issues may have been must have been resolved because the trail is wide, well used and blazed fairly well (well enough to follow anyway). There must have been half a dozen cars at the trailhead and 20 people on the trail over the course of the day.

Does anyone know what happened?

Anyway, to the report and pics!

Shaw Vignette
Shaw Pics

(EDIT UPDATE: I got a very nice email updating me on some of the issues surrounding the area in the last few years. Phew! Thanks to that person for sending it over. Anyway, nuff' said. Just enjoy the post and pictures if you like!)

Last edited: