Mt Star King , Mt Waumbek 1/07/2013

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1SlowHiker

Reaction score
Trails: Star King, Killkenney

Date: 1/07/13 (Monday)

Trail Conditions: Great packed snowshoe path all the way up (as reported by ThomasC a few days ago) with less than an inch of new light snow on top. Not many post holes but the packed trail is a little soft on the down hill side of the path above 3000' with 3'+ deep snow on that side. Plenty of visible yellow blazes with the rime ice wiped off (though not needed today).
Kilkenney going NE from Waumbek Toward S. Weeks was also broken out with snowshoes but with 1-2 inches of soft snow on the path. I only went few hundred yards past Waumbek, before doing the math and turning around, so I'm not sure how far the path continues.

Special Equipment: I used snowshows the whole time, but the trail is probably hard enough for bare boots or spikes. Two other hikers I met on Star King as I was going down had full crampons and I didn't see any new damage to the path.

Comments: A clear day, but the presidents were in the cloads for the few views from the top. As reported by HappyHiker (thanks), if you do Waumbek, go another 50 feet or so and there is an nice opening with views to the South provided by Sandy.