Mud Season Hikes in Vermont

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Solitary said:
The Green Mountain Club discourages spring hiking because of trail erosion that results from hiking on soft muddy ground. This year they published a list of alternative hikes in Vermont:

http://www.greenmountainclub.org/page.php?id=60

Thanks for the link. I didn't realize that VT actually closed trails during this time of year. Good thing I wasn't planning to hit them until later in the year!

hikingnclimbing said:
Thanks for the link. I didn't realize that VT actually closed trails during this time of year. Good thing I wasn't planning to hit them until later in the year!

Well, I could be wrong about this, but I don't think they are "officially" closed. I think it is a strong recommendation. Anyone have the definitive scoop on this?

Solitary said:
Well, I could be wrong about this, but I don't think they are "officially" closed. I think it is a strong recommendation. Anyone have the definitive scoop on this?

I've read what they published on the website about 5 times. It's as clear as mud ;) :rolleyes:

Marty

Solitary said:

Perhaps I am wrong, but the site looked like it closed trails up the major peaks (aka the 4000's that I need to hike). The subsidiary peaks were ok, but to just make sure you pay attention to mud.

Well, I believe that Camels Hump State Park and Mt. Mansfield State Park are officially closed during mud season. The Long Trail does traverse both of them. Camels Hump State Park extends south almost to App. Gap. So, the trail is offically closed for at least these 2 4000 footers.

South of that, the Long Trail is mostly in National Forest, and that doesn't close. However, it would be prudent to stay off the trail during mud season to minimize the impact.

Why quibble over whether the higher elevation trails are "officially" closed or not?

Why not, instead, get with the spirit of the GMC mud season advisories and honor the pleas? That way we foreclose the need for official rules. It's sort of like Leave No Trace practices and principles.

Voluntary compliance, self-constraint and self-policing really is a lot better in the long haul than a bunch of laws or official rules and regulations that have the effect of law. That's how we preserve (conserve) the most freedom that is supposed to be part our great hiking pastime and tradition.

G.

Grumpy said:
Why quibble over whether the higher elevation trails are "officially" closed or not?

Why not, instead, get with the spirit of the GMC mud season advisories and honor the pleas? That way we foreclose the need for official rules. It's sort of like Leave No Trace practices and principles.

Voluntary compliance, self-constraint and self-policing really is a lot better in the long haul than a bunch of laws or official rules and regulations that have the effect of law. That's how we preserve (conserve) the most freedom that is supposed to be part our great hiking pastime and tradition.

G.
Exactly! I generally stay out of the High Peaks in Mud Season. Of all the 115, I've only climbed 3 in April, and they were all still covered in snow.