My first cannister!! (Dorset, and Mendon) 8/17/08

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Berard

Reaction score
N. Thetford, VT Avatar: Cabot, winter 2011
Greg, Joe, Jason, and I piled in Greg's car to meet Marty in Manchester at Up for Breakfast for a pre-hike feed, and then on to Dorset Hollow to start our two peak "bushwack" day. The plan was to do Dorset, and then Mendon.

We started up the road to the start of the hike, and parked at the last "T" in the road. As we continued up the road, we realized we could've parked about half way to the tar paper cabin that is referred to in so many reports. This might save .25 to .5 miles total off the trip....There is a nice mowed parking spot on the right, near a small brook crossing. Th logging road is well travelled, and easy to follow the entire way. Marty set a good pace....perfect for a two peak day. ;) We all gathered at the junction of our route, and the route up from Danby Four Corners, and decided to forgo the Doorknob junction turn to the old tower, and head up the second turn which comes to a four way intersection with an old sign with mileage to both summits.
2486307060099656796S425x425Q85.jpg

There was a trail that headed straight ahead of us to the east, and I wonder if this heads over to the campground on Rt. 7 on that side of the mountain..... class....Bueller (said in my best Ben Stein voice ;)). If you go to the campground website, the trail doesn't go near the top.....

We went left and were at the old Fire Warden's cabin in no time. The woods in this section reminded me of the Kilkenny Range....open, and lush softwoods with a dense fern ground cover. We checked in the cannister and added our names to the roll call. We saw recent entries from ToeCozy, and whichway, among others. This was my first cannister!!! Whoo-hooo!!!! The sign was a little interesting....it was written backwards!
2923393260099656796S200x200Q85.jpg
2690191780099656796S200x200Q85.jpg
2194305940099656796S200x200Q85.jpg

There were several moose browsed trees in the summit area, including one of the biggest I've seen, about 10" in diameter. Most of the ones I see are moose maples in the 2-5 inch range.

Down we go after signing in, getting a drink, and a snack. We arrived back at the car with a round Trip time of about 3.5 hours, and headed to Mendon.
As we headed up the road, we compared notes on possible routes, and it seemed all the sources Marty and I had combed agreed that the third cairn was to place to head in. We were concerned about the water crossings, especially the first one, and although they were high, we all got across dry. At the first cairn, we met timmus and Motobobo on the way down who had come from doing Stratton in the morning. They agreed we should take the third cairn. we said our goodbyes and headed up. AT the third cairn...the "can cairn", we headed in, and after a brief bit of confusion, we found the herd path, and made good time most of the way along the well defined herd path, until we hit a big patch of blowdowns. We decided to head right here, and were soon on the herd path again. Just a bit further along there was a junction, and we had a discussion as to which way to go. The more direct route seemed to go straight at the summit, but Marty had heard that we should bear to the right and head around the back side of the summit, and approach from there. Off to the right we go, and it is pretty open and clear, with one steep,dense section which I would imagine would be tough in the winter. Soon we arrived at the top, and boy, am I glad we didn't take the direct route. From the ledges on top it looked steep and dense! Again, we signed in, had a snack, and headed down, with rain threatening....

2234956590099656796S200x200Q85.jpg
2568922290099656796S200x200Q85.jpg

On the way down, very near the "can cairn", we found the decaying remains of an old cabin sinking into the moss.....

2851269270099656796S425x425Q85.jpg

Anyone know anything about that?

All in all, there was a wide range of opinions on "bushwacking", as a couple of us were newbies to bushwacking. As for me, I'm hooked! :cool: Marty, It was good to finally get to hike with you. I hope we get out again soon!

pics are here

Last edited:
Hey Jason!

Great account of our hikes, sir. It was great hiking with you and the guys and also great to see my pal Timmus again and to finally meet Motabobo. :D It was awesome having a group of four eagle-eyed whackers who kept finding the herd paths, too. :cool:

In addition to the clarifications you made on the Mendon:
1. When you come to the herd path intersection, definitely take the right one, as it eventually leads you right to the canister. I have heard accounts from others that it is not always easy to find. Your TR mentioned a left, then a right. Definitely take the right going up.
2. We took a right at a fork on the road just before the first crossing. That fork was marked with red blazes on trees. The left apparently will connect to an ATV trail going right (south) that hooks up with the main road above the two difficult crossings, according to ctsparrow. That may be the better way to go to avoid the stream crossings and rough terrain. Not sure.

I definitely look forward to hiking with you in the future, Jason. Send best regards to the guys!

Best regards,
Marty

marty said:
Hey Jason!

In addition to the clarifications you made on the Mendon:
1. When you come to the herd path intersection, definitely take the right one, as it eventually leads you right to the canister. I have heard accounts from others that it is not always easy to find. Your TR mentioned a left, then a right. Definitely take the right going up.

I definitely look forward to hiking with you in the future, Jason. Send best regards to the guys!

Best regards,
Marty

D'oh! Thanks for catching that, Marty! I changed that left to be a right. :eek:

As for the pic of the old cabin, we used to hike up into that area often when I was a kid in the 1960's. It was much more open, with lots of remnants from logging camps, including huge piles of Black Label beer cans. There was also a slide at the top of the valley that had a log chute running beside it.

Hey Jason, your new Avatar photo turned out pretty good, considering that the photographer (me) was holding the camera upside down :eek: :rolleyes:

BTW, I forgot to include one thing in my earlier reply. Just wanted to send special thanks to Michael J (Mister 100) for sharing some valuable information that made these hikes a breeze. :D

Marty

Last edited:
It was fun seeing you guys, good job on the first ''whack'' !!

NB. I was kinda hoping you guys wouldn't open the canister, so my VERY cheezy message would not be read by anyone I know :eek: :D :D

Julie, I completely agree with Jason. Your sweet message is our little secret.

If anyone is desperate enough to read your message, then they can go whack up Mendon and open up the canister :)

Marty

marty said:
Hey Jason, your new Avatar photo turned out pretty good, considering that the photographer (me) was holding the camera upside down :eek: :rolleyes:

BTW, I forgot to include one thing in my earlier reply. Just wanted to send special thanks to Michael J (Mister 100) for sharing some valuable information that made these hikes a breeze. :D

Marty

Thanks, Marty!
Absolutely big thanks go out to MJ!

Awww, thanks ... I'm glad you had a couple of great hikes! I'm looking forward to your list completions. :)