N & South Twin and Galehead- 2-23-13 from 7 Dwarves to N. Twin Trail- see post

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunshine Chris

Reaction score
Summits in order: North Twin, South Twin, Galehead

Trails used: Went in at 7 Dwarves parking area, came out on Gale River Rd just before bridge that you cross over for the North Twin Trail-head, North Twin Trail to North Twin Spur, down on Twinway to Galehead Hut, Frost Tr. to summit of Galehead, back down Frost Trail to Garfield Ridge Trail, down Gale River Trail to summer Trail-head, Gale River Rd to Beaver Brook X-C trail-head

Trail Conditions: started out on microspikes to the 3rd crossing on North Twin Trail (a bit soft but doable, sinking 2-3 inches). Snowshoes required from here on till we completed the hike. Soft broken out trail up N Twin with drifting and deeper snow in trail bed the higher you go. Fair amount of drifting between peaks. Very loose trail coming down off S Twin. Great butt sliding if your into it. I did not have slippery pants on and gave it a first try on the very steepest sections and I cruised along fine, not too fast. It was a good experience and better than repeatedly falling down, for sure. Frost Tr to Galehead broke out with 3-5 inches fresh snow (snowed increasingly so as the afternoon progressed). 5-6 inches on upper 1/2 of Garfield Ridge Tr and Gale River Trail. All crossing bridged throughout though soft in spots, use snowshoes to cross.

Trail Maintenance: Very few if any downed trees. One walk around I remember on upper 1/2 of North Twin Trail. A few step overs on lower section of Gale River Tr.

Special Equipment: Wind and waterproof gear and snow shoes were the order of the day. Hiking poles very useful for balance and for assistance getting up after falling down on steeps.

Comments: This was my first epic winter hike nabbing 3 summits and over 15.5 miles coming out in the dark and hiking with it snowing a good part of the day. I was pretty happy to sit on that park bench and rest a minute while getting out another headlamp at the Galehead summer parking kiosk! Thanks Dave Bear for an awesome and successful hike. :D