NE Caves and other curiosities.....

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rugger said:
Are the Plymouth caves you are talking about on the West side of Rt 100, North of the lakes? If so, we explored those maybe 2-3 years later. There is also the Plymouth Gold mine on the far side of the lake that had the Boy Scout Camp on it's shores (Echo Lake?). I think it was up the Buffalo Brook.

Those are the ones. I've never visited them. I was going to once, but someone I knew said they were closed off. That was in late spring several years ago, and I just never got around to checking them out again.

The Boy Scout Camp on Echo Lake is now a state park. I've never heard of the gold mine. I knew that people use to pan for gold near Tyson, must be the same place.

there are also alot of interesting potholes and other features in Cavendish Gorge.

SteveHiker said:
I knew that people use to pan for gold near Tyson, must be the same place.

When we went up there and found the mine, there was an old man (again I was just a kid then) panning for gold in the brook. He pulled out a glass jar and showed us a small nugget that he claimed came from the brook. The mine is on the left side of the brook as you are going up stream. I can't remember how far up but it couldn't have been more than 1-2 miles. We didn't go in as it looked like the roof was falling in.

There are a few caves in NJ and PA. One real good one and lots of tunnels is the one found at Round Valley. I believe It is called Mallases hill cave it is off Mallasses hill rd. I think it is the largest in NJ. There is one by Stroudsmore in stroudsburg PA. Great Mt biking trails in area. There is a really good one out in State College PA. Forget the name but worth the trip. Then there is another in Worthing SF just before you get into NPS lands and just off old mine rd (It is not a mine, those are a little farther North) and a smaller cave on rt 611 where it goes through the actual gap on the PA side.

There are some interesting caves at Deer Leap in VT. I haven't been in them since the '70s, but I doubt they've changed much. It is on Route 4 at the top of the Sherburne pass, right behind the Inn at Long Trail. The caves are up to trail a bit, but are difficult to miss.

Deer Leap also offers great views.

JeffAndrews said:
There are some interesting caves at Deer Leap in VT. I haven't been in them since the '70s, but I doubt they've changed much. It is on Route 4 at the top of the Sherburne pass, right behind the Inn at Long Trail. The caves are up to trail a bit, but are difficult to miss.

Deer Leap also offers great views.

I got the views, but I missed the caves! It's amazing what you don't see when you're not looking for it! :D

Bob Kittredge said:
I remember going to Putnam's Wolf Den in Putnam(?), Connecticut when I was a kid. Really narrow and claustrophobic. I googled it and came up with this list of Connecticut caves.
That's a great list, I'll have to seek some of these out. I've never heard of most of them. I'm afraid many won't qualify as "caves", probably more like dens or rock pile scrambles, but they'd be fun to look up and explore.

cave

came across a cave on Kirby pk,goin back to check it out some day :)

Does anyone know if the deep crack cave on Pitchoff is still accessable? You had to climb to get to the entrance, but it was pretty deep.

There's a small cave in Snake Den State Park in Rhode Island.
It's large enough to fit a few people but I don't think many go in.
May have something to do with the park name. :eek:

the only experience I had with animals in caves was back in 1971. My friends and I were camping in the Wittenberg Cave shelter just below the summit in the Catskills. Everytime I climb Wittenberg, I go below the summit to visit the cave. It was recommended as a campsite in the DEC guide we used to plot out this trip. (Pre no camping above 3500 days). The cave shelter was nice with a man-made rock wall in front to keep the wind out. In the middle of the night we learned we were sharing the cave with other occupants and they were getting restless. So then with our flashlights we realized this family living in the cave was a family of porcupines. I did not get a good nights sleep that night to say the least.