Need recommendations for Mont Tremblant & the Laurentians

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadtripper

Reaction score
Hello All!

I'm headed to Mont Tremblant / Laurentian Mountains for a week at the end of January and I know almost nothing about the area. Amazon seems really devoid of travel & hiking-related guidebooks to the area as well (well, at least until May 2013 when a new guidebook to hiking around Montreal is published).

Anybody care to share any recommendations?
~ good snowshoe hikes?
~ places to go cross-country skiing?
~ restaurants in the Mont-Tremblant area?
~ other things to do or see?

Thanks in advance.

- Roadtripper

Hi Greg... I remember you saying you were going up to Tremblant when I bumped in to you on Osceola this fall. Just by chance I see this post after not being on here for a while.

I've not been up to Tremblant myself for a while. So what I tell you may have changed. I remember there being a good snowshoe trail from the northern side of the mountain at the downhill ski center base lodge. That led up to the northern peak of Tremblant which I believe is called Johannsen peak after the legendary "Jack Rabbit"! The trail then went south along the ridge to White peak and the summit of the downhill skiing.
I have a friend who does guiding up there so I will ask for more info and get back to you. As for cross country skiing, the Parc du Mont Tremblant has excellent skiing about 30 minutes drive north of the village... I'll be in touch! Maybe join you if I can get away.

About snowshoeing in Tremblant, I can help you a bit with that...

Tremblant has some fine snowshoeing, amongst other winter activities.

We were up there in March, looking for decent powder (given how sad conditions were in the Whites last year). We were not disappointed.

The Parcs Québec web site has some good information on available trails, etc. in Parc national du Mont-Tremblant -- including snow conditions (nice!).

www.sepaq.com/pq/mot/index.dot

Great snowshoeing and Nordic ski-ing in the park. They will give you beta at the entrance, ask for directions at your hotel. There is also a hostel in downtown Tremblant which used to be the village of St-Jovite and they will give you information even if you don't stay there. I forget their names, but there are several very good restaurants along the main drag of downtown. I never had a disappointing meal in St-Jovite- Tremblant.

You can ski hut to hut in the park for a multi-day adventure. Go to the sepaq site, or do what I just did, Google Mont Tremblant Park and you'll get all the beta you need. It came up for me in English, but if you get it in French, there will be an 'Englsh' button to click on.