Need show shoes from LOC Hut to Washington?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark

Reaction score
Need snow shoes from LOC Hut to Washington?

On Friday, we are hiking Ammo trail from Cog station to Lake of Clouds Hut and then to Washington (plus Monroe on way down). Since the trail from LOC to Washington is all above treeline, would it be safe to ditch my snow shoes at hut for hike to summit? I would only do this if it looked like the trail up was wind blown and clear of most snow. Are there any sheltered spots on the Crawford path to summit that may be drifted over requiring snow shoes? I would still carry crampons.

I'll probably end up carrying them with me to the summit, but I wondered if anyone had any experience with this section of the Crawford Path.

Last edited:
Can't speak for this year, but THIS is how it looked on a fantastic day last March.

The slog from Lakes to the summit is pretty exposed so most of the snow gets blown off. I remember there being more snow on the final steeper stretch to the summit but we didn't need snowshoes.

On the way up we donned crampons at Gem Pool and pretty sure they stayed on until we got back down again.

Lots of ICE at the outflow below the hut and on the lakes.

Hope you have as good a day as we had last year!

Bob

Ahhh . . . the memories . . . Thanks for the memories HikerBob. I get to involved in planning the next big hike, sometimes I forget to look back at some the REALLY great hikes that I am lucky to have already done :)

I put on crampons on that trip somewhere just before LOC and didn't take them off till I was back at the car. I still carry all my gear with me because you never know what might force you to descend via a different trail requiring the snowshoes or any other stashed gear but if I remember right, it was hard pack snow and exposed rocks up beyond LOC.

sli74

Seema - It sure was a great day for the final hike of last winter :)

I run through some of my older trip reports now and then and remember so much more than the words and images before me. Good times :)

I also second the 'carry them anyway' advice. Never mind the blue skies and sunshine just don't forget where you are hiking.

Bob

When I read the title of your thread, I couldn’t help wondering what exactly “show shoe” were. It reminded me of the time I encountered a young girl coming from LOC and heading to the summit wearing platform flip flops.

You know, SHOW SHOES. Think Gene Simmons or Fee Waybill. I always winter hike in platforms. Makes the views better due to the higher elevation.

Darn!

You know - Show shoes are snow shoes strapped to you pack just to give the impression that you are an experienced, well-equipped hiker! :eek:

And I can't even edit the thread title to fix my typo! Oh, well. At least 'h' and 'n' look similar as well as being close to each other on the keyboard. And a spelling checker wouldn't have caught that either. I need a proof reader.