Need suggestions for overnight hike w/in 2 hours of URI

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darren

Poobah Emeritus
Reaction score
A friend of mine is looking for suggestions for an overnight backpack. He will be doing route with his son and he is looking for a hike of about 5 miles in to a tent site, 5 miles out the next day (loop or out and back), and due to other family restrictions the hike needs to be within a 2 hour drive of URI (so that means Conn., central Mass. etc). Anyone have any suggestions for him?

Thanks,

- darren

The first leg of the AT in CT is about 4 rolling, scenic miles from the NY border to Ten Mile River where there is a lean-to and tent sites. That's a nice area. Ten Mile River intersects the Housatonic there. If they had extra time they could fish, hack around the river or hike the the next mile to Bulls Bridge, which is flat and pretty along the river. I'm showing it'd be almost 3 hours here though for him.

Piggy-backing on Woody's suggestion... There is a shelter on the Metacomet-Monadnock where it joins the Tully Trail just south of the NH border. Not in the wilderness, but near a set of falls and has a few routes leading to it. One of the major drawbacks is it's proximity to the road (probably less than a half mile). That and a lack of views from the top. This option would be just inside his two hour drive window.

If he can find a way to stretch his leash, Providence to Lincoln, NH is "only" 3 hours according to Google Maps. Lots more options up north.

Smitty

Arcadia Wildlife Management Area

No views that I know of but a nice forest with good trout fishing nearby and it's about half an hour from URI, if that. I believe you need a permit to make an overnight stay legal but I can't speak from experience.

Pachaug State Forest, CT

Pachaug is just west of the RI / CT line, about 30 minutes from URI. Several loops possible between CT & RI. Spool Mill Brook Shelter is east of Green Falls Pond in Pauchaug. I suspect a permit is required. You may be able to tent near it. There is also a regular campground nearby.

There is also at least one shelter in Arcacia Mgt. area in RI. Again, you may be able to tent near it.

Deer ticks are a big problem in this area: Lyme disease was named after Lyme, CT, after all.

Ed

Ed Poyer said:
Pachaug is just west of the RI / CT line, about 30 minutes from URI. Several loops possible between CT & RI. Spool Mill Brook Shelter is east of Green Falls Pond in Pauchaug. I suspect a permit is required. You may be able to tent near it. There is also a regular campground nearby.

There is also at least one shelter in Arcacia Mgt. area in RI. Again, you may be able to tent near it.

Deer ticks are a big problem in this area: Lyme disease was named after Lyme, CT, after all.

Ed
There's also a shelter in the Patchaug Forest just west of Mt Misery