new goals

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Periwinkle said:
Congrats on your 48! What day did you hike Adams & Madison? (I was up there recently on a "do-over")

I hiked Adams and Madison last Tuesday, Oct 3. The weather was great -I couldn't have asked for a better day for that long hike. We hardly saw anyone: two guys doing the AT on top of Madison and one fellow from Montana who was originally from Berlin,NH on top of Adams. We did see Sapblatt and Bobby in the parking lot at 6:30am.

Congrats

Dorothy -
congrats again - it was nice meeting you on your big day.
I am hiking for fun with some loosely defined goals that I really do not spend much time on. I am redlining all of the Northern Presi Trails and I do track the 48 by season - but I truly doubt I will ever get all of them in all 4 seasons. I just like to get out as much as I can and maybe I will help my wife or kids with lists if they are interested.

sapblatt said:
I am hiking for fun with some loosely defined goals that I really do not spend much time on. I am redlining all of the Northern Presi Trails and I do track the 48 by season - but I truly doubt I will ever get all of them in all 4 seasons. I just like to get out as much as I can and maybe I will help my wife or kids with lists if they are interested.

I think my goals will be a little different also. Today I hiked Mt Percival/Morgan. It was fun to do an easy hike that had great views and didn't take up the whole day. I may focus on some of the little hills around Squam or link a few of those to make a longer trip. As far as getting anyone in my family interested in doing the 48-only one daughter started. It'll probably take her many years to finish. She got interested in hiking after doing a high school Outback program and an Alaskan summer NOLS trip.

Hey there,

Congratulations on your first 48! When I finished my list, I did my AMC chapter's leadership training and started leading hikes for other people. And I found that I enjoyed those peaks even more the second time around when I was sharing them.

I also started doing more reading about the ecology and history of the places I hiked. I started doing things like looking for "lost trails" and logging camps. I started messing around in the woods more.

In short, I loved doing the list, but when I was done, I felt freer.