New Hampshire trail steward program, new and fun

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carla

Reaction score
Hi VFTTers-- I recently started a new volunteer job as a trail steward for the WMNF. They are definitely looking for new volunteers, so I thought I'd post it here.

It's a lot of fun and quite simple. Each summer weekend day there are a couple of us (a WMNF ranger or intern and a volunteer like me) who have an information tent set up at a few popular trail heads. Now we are covering OBP (Old Bridle Path/Falling Waters), the Lincoln Woods trailhead, and the Ammo trailhead. These trails may change or be added to over time. Shifts are usually 3-4 hours.

We answer questions about routes, conditions, bears, camping guidelines, and so on. It's fascinating to stay at a trailhead for any length of time--you'll see all kinds of hikers coming through. You know, from flip flops to combat camouflage.

Some fun perks--you get a Ranger shirt, and some patches, even a name badge! Plus a parking pass/sticker after 16 hours of volunteer service.

Mostly though, it's just a fun way to give back. And of course I know that we ALL have advice to give and expertise to share. ;););)

If you are interested, either PM me or simply contact the ranger who is organizing this--details below. Tell him Carla sent you:

John Marunowski [email protected]

Backcountry / Wilderness Manager
Pemigewasset Ranger District
White Mountain National Forest

The Trail Stewards gave valuable advice on Saturday at the Falling Waters Trailhead, encouraging hikers to stay off the Franconia Ridge because of the high winds from Hurricane Arthur.

Sounds like a great program Carla! Win-win!

As President of the 3500 Club, I encourage everyone to give back in some way - Catskills, Dax, Whites, Greens, where ever you are. Donate, maintain a trail or shelter, hang out at a trailhead, summit, fire tower, but get involved! Remember, many people before you helped make the trails enjoyable when you hiked them the first time. 'Pay' it forward. :D