New Hampshire Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

el-bagr

Reaction score
I just read about the "New Hampshire Trail", a 550-mile continuous route through New Hampshire.

Article in The Dartmouth

Unfortunately the article is rather vague and unclear as to the route and its relationship to existing "trails" such as the AT and the Cohos Trail. Here's part of what it says:
A Dartmouth alumnus and his colleagues recently completed a six-week, 550-mile backpacking trip along the Appalachian Trail, successfully linking existing trails to create a continuous route through the Granite State.

Rick Ouimet '98 and his wife, Allison Coviello, both high school teachers from the Bronx, recently joined their colleagues to create a trail connecting all peaks above 4,000 feet in New Hampshire and additional sites of interest.

"Our route took us over such celebrated southern peaks as Monadnock, Kearsarge, Cardigan and Smarts -- over all 48 4,000s in the Whites -- and through Coos County via the Cohos Trail," Ouimet said.

After graduating from Dartmouth, Ouimet and his wife took off for five months and completed the Appalachian Trail. Recognizing the absence of a continuous path in New Hampshire, they created their own this summer.

"We were in the Whites for 300 miles," he said. "Every day you are above the tree line, unlike the Vermont Longtrail."

The majority of their time was spent on trails, many of which are maintained by Dartmouth. Other peaks, such as Mt. Cardigan and Smarts, were crossed with the help of snowmobile paths.

Ouimet hopes that their trail, which they have named the New Hampshire Trail, will become a popular option for hikers along the Appalachian.

"We are hoping that this trail catches on as a more rugged alternative to the Vermont Long Trail," he said. "You can do it in six weeks."

This has me interested as the story doesn't completely make sense. I wonder how they got permission to make new trails. Also, if they made a new trail and AT thru hikers use this new trail, wouldn't they technically have some voids in their mileage. I'm not questioning el-bagr, I'm questioning the stories completeness.

I'm guessing this is like the Catamount ski trail, which is a name put on a route that connects lots of existing hiking/ski trails, snowmobile trails, and road walks.

-dave-

I have played around on some of the mountains near cardigan such as the sugar loafs, bear mountain ect. Its known as the Mowglis trail. It has some ok veiws and what not but the section between Bear mt. and cardigan are not maintained. lots of blow downs not marked well. There were a few times I couldnt find the trail. :eek:

Stinkyfeet said:
- Wapack Trail from the MA/NH line to Mt. Monadnock.
- Monadnock-Sunapee Greenway Trail to Mt. Sunapee.
- Sunapee-Ragged-Kearsarge Trail to the I-89 area (?)
- Snowmobile trails (?), road walking, or rail trail (isn't there one?) to the Hanover area.
- AT to the Presies.
- Cohos Trail to Canada!

Looks like a fun trip.

That would be some dayhike! :D

Stinkyfeet, did you mean Metacomet/Monadnock trail from the MA/NH line to Monadnock? The Wapack doesn't go to Monadnock but over Pack Monadnock and North Pack. -brianW