New Moose Warning for I-93 Franconia

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In 20+ years of visiting the White, we have seen very few moose. But we did see this one today, just south of Crawford Notch on Rt 302. He drew quite a crowd.

We have a drill in our car when we enter moose country, moose hour, or are otherwise bored with the ride. It is designed to avoid decapitation in the event of a collision, a possibility since moose, unlike deer, are tall enough to clear the hood so the next resistence they meet is the windshield followed by ... you guessed it. :eek:

At such times we keep a sharp eye out for moose on or near the road. :eek:

In the event of a sighting, we yell "Moose!" and then I brake and we all duck. :eek:

In no case should anyone yell "Duck!" even though we're supposed to duck. That is so I'm not caught rubbernecking and looking through the sunroof for a merganser or something like that while Acers Acers come flying through ... :eek:

Saw two gangly legged, yearling moose this weekend, one off 95, the other on the perimeter road in BSP.
They look so bewildered and seem to be saying, "why did my mommy chase me away?"

:(

Stopped for two moose (mooses? meece? whatever) last Wednesday on Rte 118 west of N. Woodstock. Cow and a calf?

Saw another the week before. Think it was along 302 north of Crawford.

Had a "run" going two years ago; 9 sightings in 10 consecutive trips to NH (from CT). On 6 of those sightings, the moose were in the road. In one case, I almost hit one animal swerving to avoid another (11pm in heavy fog). Was seeing them so often that it was beginning to get scary. Not sure where they were going to "pop out" next.

I was cool to see the first one. But the sightings lost their "entertainment value" after the fifth or sixth time. Amazing animals. But I'd really rather not encounter them in the road.

I've only seen one moose outside of zoos, and it was in a cow pasture. The moose was chasing around some lady cows trying to create a new species. At any rate, I'd really like to see a few in the wild. Where in NH do I have the best chance of seeing one?

I've seen about 10 moose (or the same moose 10 times) this spring which is probably more than I've seen in my total lifetime.. Does it seem like there are more moose out there or are they becoming less timid?

Stan said:
... while Acers Acers come flying through ... :eek:
Tramper Al said:
Alces alces?
With all that ducking by the driver I thought Stan might have run into a couple of maple trees. Thankfully in my neck of the woods we only worry about the dear little deer. Nice moose pictures stopher, Kevin, and hikingmom.

Last edited:
HockeyPuck said:
I've seen about 10 moose (or the same moose 10 times) this spring which is probably more than I've seen in my total lifetime.. Does it seem like there are more moose out there or are they becoming less timid?

In the mid-18th c., the moose population in NH was an estimated 15. By 1970, it was 7, 500. It's been fairly steady lately in overall numbers as it is monitored by NH Fish & Game and regulated by the number of hunting permits granted. Changes in habitat may put more moose near the roads where we see them in the popular "wallows," however. In the early spring in particular they'll look for good browse and that's often road-side or on the site of recent timber cuts. They are also on the move then down from the higher elevations where they winter (they feed on spruce buds up there--check out the col between Starr King and Waumbek and you'll see one of those winter moose yarding areas.) Likewisee, we see them a lot more in the fall during the rut or on their return to higher elevations. Moose are always unafraid, never "friendly," even if they seem benign. They are magnificent creatures for all their menace to roads. Every time I see one, my brain still thinks "horse" until it recalibrates to think no, "moose."

Quack said:
At any rate, I'd really like to see a few in the wild. Where in NH do I have the best chance of seeing one?
I believe that the area on and around Rt. 16 North of Milan is still considered "Moose Alley", and where moose tour operators will guarantee a sighting. Dawn or dusk, drive very carefully, and please don't feed the meeses Reese's pieces.

Last edited:
Wild River Road, last November. I left camp at around 8pm to make the obligatory cell-phone call home. I had to drive up to Evans Notch to get a signal and was on my way back. I entered the WR road and began driving, well, a little too fast. I came around the bend at the swampy area and THERE HE WAS! A true bullwinkle! I mean he was massive, complete with huge rack (wink, wink). I had to brake hard and turn a little, and he just stood there. Had to be no more than one car-length away. I turned down my headlights and just waited. After a minute, he ambled away like it ain't no thing..., and my heart began to slow.

I reacquired cautious driving after that.

We saw 2 moose on the side of the road Sunday eve at the intersection of Rts 2 and 115, around 7:30 pm. Saw another behind the wire fence on 115 1/2 way to Rt 3...

Moose Alleys

Tramper Al said:
I believe that the area on and around Rt. 16 North of Milan is still considered "Moose Alley", and where moose tour operators will guarantee a sighting. Dawn or dusk, drive very carefully, and please don't feed the meeses Reese's pieces.

Northern NH has a couple of "moose alleys." One is on Rt. 3 from Pittsburgh to the Canadian border, the Canada Lakes area. The other is on 16 in the Berlin-Gorham area. A truce and treaty have recently been signed in the "moose war" over the latter (according to the Coos County Democrat):

Split apart in 2003, moose tours join up
ANDROSCOGGIN VALLEY —
The Moose War is over.
No, it wasn’t a war between actually moose, and it wasn’t really a war, as no shots were fired and relations were kept cordial, but a couple years ago controversy erupted when the point of origin was changed for the valley’s moose tours up Route 16. For a decade the tours, a joint effort between the Northern White Mountain Chamber of Commerce and Tri-County Community Action Programs (CAP), started in Gorham, as easy access point for those staying in the tourist lodgings along Gorham’s Main Street.
In 2003 that changed, and the decision to start the tours from Berlin, at the Northern Forest Heritage Park, led the town of Gorham, through the Gorham Recreation Department, to start up its own moose tours through the town’s recreation department, which it continued through the 2004 tourist season.
Technically, it wasn’t a split, but the start-up of a completly new tour.
At the time, the Chamber was in a state of flux, its executive director, Mike Neil, having resigned in February 2003, and the hunt for his replacement was on. In between Neil’s resignation and the hiring of the present executive director, Sharon Penney. board president Steve Scherer served as the NWMCC spokesperson.
Now tourist don’t have to decide which tour to take, as the Gorham Recreation Department and the Northern Forest Heritage Park are pleased to announce the merger of their moose tour operations for 2005. Both organizations are excited about the merger and will bring their respective expertise to the Moose Tours to enhance the visitor experience.
The Gorham Recreation Department will continue to oversee reservations and provide transportation and drivers who will provide information on local history, moose and the area, while the Heritage Park will provide an added interpretive experience for guests. Both organizations efforts to promote the region will be strengthened with little duplication of marketing effort, including a prestigious AAA guide ad.
“The partnership for the Moose Tours is a long-overdue, natural link between the Town of Gorham, the Northern Forest Heritage Park and North Country tourism. We see this as a real benefit to the Berlin-Gorham area and to the visitors we attract,” said Bill Jackson, Gorham Town Manager.
Park Trustee, George Pozzuto added, “I’m excited about the partnership, the opportunities to better serve the public and provide visitors with insights into why we need to continue to manage the northern forest and how it benefits them.”
The 3-hour tours will depart nightly from the Gorham Information Booth. A slide show showcasing area historic sites, other Androscoggin Valley attractions, and Heritage Park offerings will be viewed on the ride from Gorham to the Heritage Park. Admission to the Moose Tour will include a stop at the Heritage Park where visitors will enter the Logging Camp Interpretive Center to view a new wildlife exhibit. Interpreters will share moose facts and make the connection between forest management and a healthy wildlife population. The guided tours will continue along the picturesque Androscoggin River and into the 13-Mile Woods Area in search of the gentle giant of the North Country. The entire experience for the moose tour participant will provide another reason to stay in the area or return for future visits. “Development of the video showcasing what the Valley has to offer and partnering with the Town of Gorham is just one of the many initiatives in which the Park supports tourism in the Androscoggin Valley,” said Jean Boutin, park administrator.
Moose Tours will begin on Memorial Day weekend departing from the Gorham Information Booth. Reservations are recommended. For more information call toll free 1 (877) 986-6673 or 466-3103, or visit www.gorhamnh.org or www.northernforestheritage.org.

Stan wrote: "We have a drill in our car when we enter moose country, moose hour, or are otherwise bored with the ride. It is designed to avoid decapitation in the event of a collision, a possibility since moose, unlike deer, are tall enough to clear the hood so the next resistence they meet is the windshield followed by ... you guessed it."

Good idea, which is also used by bush pilots in Alaska. When we flew into Kahiltna Base last June, our pilot said to us: "You three are my co-pilots and your job is to watch for other aircraft; 75% of the time my co-pilots see the other aircraft before I do."