New trail to Crocker?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SGWhiker

Reaction score
On the summit of Crocker (north peak), on Sunday, I noticed there was a long clearing of trees (about the width of a trail), leading west from the summit, for as long as I could see. Does anyone know anything about this?

I believe that is a boundry cut for the AT. A similar cut is on the spur path to Sugarloaf when heading up from the AT. There's a sign there mentioning national forest land vs. private land, or something like that.

Problem is if it's going west from the summit of No. Crocker it's more or less perpendicular to the AT corridor, hence unlikely to be the boundary.

For example, when I bushwhacked from So. Crocker to Redington, we crossed the AT boundary swath about 50 yards or so down the slope away from the AT and parallel to it.

The AT crosses No. Crocker approximately SW to NE. Any boundary cut would be parallel to this and down off the slope. It would not hit the summit in any case.

There are also no township or county boundaries crossing No. Crocker. I would also think if it were any kind of boundary, it would also go down the other side in a straight line (i.e. east from the summit).

So all I can say is hmmmmm.

I followed that a couple years ago and, as I recall, it just petered out a couple hundred yards (that's a possibly wild guess) down from the summit. It didn't seem to head toward South Crocker, where the other one Papa mentioned lies. (Followed that cut, too, the same day, until we decided it wasn't going to head toward Redington, but probably just down to Caribou Valley Road. Can't say I noticed its intersection with the road, even later that same day.)

That was there, at least towards the NW, back at the time of Gathering 1.0 ... that's when we bagged the Crockers ... and I was led to believe it had something to do with a survey but if that had been the case I would expect the survey to have been done and the "path" reclaimed by nature.

I'm pretty certain it isn't intended for a foot path since it makes to effort against erosion.

Ahhh, maybe it is part of the design for the proposed wind farm and through some creative adaptation of the benoulli effect it helps focus wind on the next peak.