NH firetowers

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RoySwkr said:

In the Western US, people actually lived at the top of the towers, and since most fires were caused by lightning they stayed on duty during storms, sitting on a wooden stool with phone insulators screwed to the legs. That is why the tower cabs were roughly 14'x14'.

It wasn't always love at first sight: JK at Desolation Peak

(Off topic? Ah, c'mon, the guy did grow up in Lowell, MA. ;) )

i noticed that too (102) but if you look at the list there are 92 listed, some with ##A's - i think that may mean that they were moved (i'm not sure)?

Last edited:
I think I understand the information now. What the 92 vs. 102 number is. There are some towers with a A or B next to the number. It's because the tower was rebuilt next to the old one for one reason or another. They count as 2 seperate towers at the bottom of the page, but to be more specific there has been 92 different tower sites, 10 of which have had the tower rebuilt in the same place or within several feet.

The pictures are really cool. I love the fact that I live at the bottom of Nobscot Hill. I can hike up or drive up to the top and go up into the tower and see Boston - Worcester and North to Monadnok. It's awsome! Wish I new how to gain access to the little cabin on top.

that looks like the reason - must be nice living near a good view - - now that i know where the mass. firetowers are located i guess i have a new list to work on.