Night hiking Monadnock

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Andrew said:
Old Toll Rd (White Arrow), Marlborough, Dublin, Gilson Pond (Birchtoft) Trailheads are all posted as "No Parking After Dark" by wish of landowner (SPNHF/ NH).
Parking for Pumpelly Tr is along the road--never had any problems parking there. (Admittedly it was quite a while ago.)

Doug

Last year i hiked it on the 3rd of July for sunset and catch some fireworks. We had a very good time. You do look down at the fireworks.

I have had plans to hike it the 20th with my cousin. Hoping to head up for susnset, catch the moonrise and then see the fireworks. Not sure which trail we will be doing.

White Cross and White Dot are very easy to follow in the dark, very good for a first night hike. Make sure your head lamp is easy to get to. I has once asked by a ranger to show him it half way up.

Mongoose,

I think, if you are introducing someone to hiking and doing a night hike, your best option is to go to the old toll rd. off rt.124.
Parking there for me has never been a problem. I don't think anyone's going to be looking for you until the morning shift comes in. I've left there close to midnight on several occasions.

Although, the white dot and white cross trails are are the most direct route,
they might be a little hardcore under headlamp.
There are a few " pole-hucking spots " if you carry them.
Might not be a good thing to do with a novice.

My suggestion is to park at the old toll rd.
You can either hike up the road or take the old halfway house trail, which runs paralell to the road, until you get to a major junction, just above the halfway house. At this spot you have several possibility's. If you get there early, check out the cliffwalk. The most direct route is the white arrow tr.
Coming down, I like to take the smith summit tr.over monte rosa, and back to the old toll rd.It's very little out of the way.
From there, anyone who was having a tough time will be releived to see a nice gravel road to follow down. :)

Steve