Nighttime lows

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bachand

Reaction score
I am planning a hike this coming weekend in the West Canada Lakes region and am debating on weather or not to bring my 10° down bag or my fleece mummy bag and some heavier clothes. I realize that the weather is unpredictable but what would some of the other people on this site say, I'm sure everyone has gone through this question when planning for a Spring or Fall hike.

Bachand - Though I cannot make the decision for you, there are some things to consider:

What do you plan to do and where do you plan to stay - If in a L/T, you might wish you had the heavier bag, especially if it gets cold and damp or windy. A tent will keep you warmer by slowing the escape of warm air.

What rating is your fleece sleeping bag? I have a very light down bag (45d) that I really like - especially the weight savings, but wouldn't take out right now - It allows no margin for error.

I look at it in this fashion - Am I prepared for the worst possible weather and the most reasonable worst case scenario - Say a freak cold front follows a heavy rainstorm and sinks in the area - will you be prepared for a cold evening and night

My most reasonable worst case scenario might be either slipping on cordoruy or rocks and fallng into a stream or marshy area getting soaked or walking all day in a deluge (or having to walk throught soaked trails that have not been brushed out in a year or two as has been the case there) and having everything cold and damp at the end of the day.

Will I wish I had the 10d bag - absolutely. Will it be worth carrying he extra pound or 2 - absolutely.

I consider my sleeping bag the last piece of protection I have and my final shelter, if all goes wrong.

FWIW, I can remember one time going through the West Canada Lakes back in '95 and it got so cold one night - it down into the 30's, (this was June 23 or 24) that the next morning, when I dunked my pot in South lake to get water, the water was warmer than the air. I skedaddled back to my tent and into my sleeping bag while my coffee water boiled - I drank my coffee in bed that morning

Good luck with your decsion
Rick

Winter advise

You can always open up a sleeping bag that is too warm to vent heat. Grasshopper says it is harder to make sleeping bag warmer-but here are some "tricks"

Wear a hat and gloves to bed
Empty the bladder
eat and drink a hot meal/food at bed time
you can use a vapor barrier inside the SB- this will increase the warmth factor- for my experiences dramatically
wear your down jacket or vest to sleep or to fill up any dead air spaces.

Cheers