North Dome/Sherrill 35er finish

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catskillclimber

Reaction score
After years of injuries (mountain biking) family obligations, and medical issues I have finally completed the Catskill 35 three days before a surgery that will keep me from hiking for some time thanks to the kind hearted gesture of Tom and Laurie Rankin.
I was highly motivated to finish the club list and had my last hike, Sherrill and North Dome, all scheduled to attend with the 3500 Club next week led by Tom and Laurie when I found out that I was going to need a surgery this Wednesday and would not be able to attend. Not trusting my own navigation skills I posted a somewhat pleading request to the VFTT community for anyone interested to lead me on the final two peaks so I could complete before surgery. I posted my request on VFTT of Friday and barely an hour later Tom Rankin called me to say he and his wife Laurie were interested in helping me out and that they could take me the next morning.
The next morning at 7:00 we met at the trailhead and Tom and Laurie were joined by Cindy (Snickers) and her husband Brian. The plan was to ascend Sherrill from 42 (Shaft Rd parking area) continue on to North Dome, then back over Sherrill and out. The mountains had other ideas. By the time we reached the summit of Sherrill three of the group were not interested in continuing to North Dome and I could not blame them. The hiking was slow, the weather was incredibly humid, and the nettles were simply everywhere. By the time we reached Sherrill's summit poor Cindy looked like a wild cat had attempted to amputate her below the knees. There was just no way of escaping the pain of the nettles because they were simply everywhere. At the news that the group would not be bagging the second peak due to the conditions and time restraints (They all had a 3500 Club Board meeting at there house that afternoon and needed to return before others arrived) I became a bit discouraged that I was not going to complete after all. I then began to wish I did not have the extra weight of the champagne in my backpack. At this point Tom decided that he was going to continue on with me to North Dome so I could complete and the others could pick us up and shuttle us back from the Devil's Path to the parking area on Shaft Road. Considering the horrible nettles and humidity, an elbow that looked busted, and the pressure of getting to the afternoon meeting on time Tom still selflessly led me on to North Dome where he surprised me by pulling out my 3500 patch and presenting it to me right there on the summit.
Thank you so much to Tom and Laurie for doing this. Hiking these mountains this time of the year can be very unpleasant and these two have to do it again with the club next week so volunteering to take a stranger the week before and suffer twice so I could complete truly shows the big hearts they have. So now that the mad dash over the past month or two to complete the bushwack peaks is complete I would like to thank those leaders who put up with us and get us to the top. Thank you to Danielle Besso, Jim Malumphy, Joe Bogardus, Edna Blanchfield, Cindy, Brian, Tom, and Laurie for all of your assistance and good memories. Now I can relax, recover, stare at my patch and think about the next challenge to take on when I'm healed.
Happy Hiking.:)

I was just about to write my own Trip report, when I saw that you had posted this.

My motives were not entirely selfless, as you know. I wanted to get to North Dome so I could check off both of these nasty peaks for my 4th round and for my Summer List. :D

In any case, I did not want to see Ryan disappointed, and I calculated that we 2 could press on to North Dome and bomb down the mountain to the end of the Devil's Path and rendezvous with Laurie and crew. And I could see that Ryan was a strong Hiker. Thanks to Bryan for mentioning that I had the only key, or this would have ended badly! :eek:

After splitting up the water and the food, we parted company with Laurie and the Yourdons. I tried to keep a 80 Mag compass bearing, but when I saw Pine Island and Packsaddle in front of me, I knew I had to make a SHARP right turn! So, we side-hilled our way down to the col, heading over sharply enough to not lose any elevation. Then we started the slog up to ND. We were fortunate to not hit a whole lot of nettles on either side of the col.

Eventually we walked right up to the canister, having found a few fairly large caves along the way. At this point, I gave Ryan the patch, and I could see it was the right choice to have pressed on. But we still needed to get back to the Spruceton Valley floor, almost 2000' below.

After a quick hit of bubbly and some herd path exploration we set off again. Once more, I was trying to hit a col and managed to veer left of it. But I figured there was no real problem in staying in Mink Hollow. The descent was extremely treacherous and steep at times, everything being very wet. We had to pick our way down thru some cliff bands, and even had to retreat once when we came to a 15' drop, with nothing to do but jump or go back up. We did find a really nice overhang with cold water pouring over it. It made for a very refreshing little break! :)

Eventually, I could see the bottom of the valley and after a while we were heading straight down. I could have side hilled a little more, but at this point I knew we were in more or less the right place, so we just plowed down, thru water, nettles, blowdown, briers, etc. Ryan was game, and kept up with me with apparent ease.

Near the stream, I was starting to get a leg cramp. This almost never happens to me, so I figured the heat was getting to me. I stopped and stretched a little, and downed the last of my Gatorade. This seemed to do the trick.

Finding the stream at last was paradise! We both splashed around for a while and then crossed over and began looking for the trail. Mercifully, it was only a few feet away! Hallelujah, a trail! :D I missed the col by a few hundred vertical feet, but at least I missed on the good side!

After this, our strength seemed to revive and we made great time heading out to the road. This in spite of the last laugh the Devil gets by making you walk up hill a good part of the way! :confused: :mad: Not one minute after we arrived at the parking area, Laurie showed up with the car! Woohoo!

I did not get so scratched up as everyone else, because I wore long pants. But I was soaked all day long. Even my pack was soaked. A few nettles and briers did make it past my defenses, but it was all in a day's whacking. One gash to a knuckle was all the blood I donated.

We ended up making it to the board meeting with a few minutes to spare. After the meeting, we had a few beers, and a great meal, and we all fell asleep early!

When you area ready, Ryan, the mountains will be there! We look forward to doing some Winter peaks with you! :)

Ryan,

Congratulations! Recover quickly from your surgery and get back out hiking :).

This accomplishment is only the beginning. You'll love hiking in the winter, really!

Thanks for the words of congratulations and support. I should be out again around February if all goes well and much sooner for mellower hikes. I will be spending a considerable amount of my down time planning trips and shopping for winter gear to replace my old stuff from years ago. ;)

Ryan,

Congratulations! Recover quickly from your surgery and get back out hiking :).

This accomplishment is only the beginning. You'll love hiking in the winter, really!

Seconded. Congrats on your finish! (And smooth move with the patch, Tom.) Winter hiking rules. Hopefully, the time spent between now and February looking at gear will have you ready to go when you're all recovered. =)

Congratulations Ryan! woohoo! Bet there must have been some cheering going on in between the nettles and the heat..:)

jay

Yeah, congratulations! The nettles in there are tough. You earned it.

I remember doing ND and Sherrill...never been in a such a world of hurt before with nettles up to my chest. Horrible...but great.

And that Tom and Laurie...pretty good people ;)

Good luck with your surgery.