North Lafayette ridge[garfield ridge trail]via Skookumchuck trail:5-20-13.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red Oak

Reaction score
trail conditions;Some mud in the middle section of the trail[normal for this time of year.The Skookumchuck was snow/ice free up till about 3800 feet[surprisingly].The snow was more of the flat clumpy variety then the usual monorail found this type of year.This is because this trail is not used in winter that often.There was some ice issues close to the ridge line,but easy to get around.Trail will be snow free in a couple of weeks.Rock steps are amazing on this trail!Hiked in the Fog and clouds the whole time.
spec. equipment;winter hat for the ridge[very cold,almost like winter],shorts and Rain gear...no traction needed imho[spikes might be nice for some]
comments;my goal was for a short hike till I found snow and ice.I had planned to check out eagle pass on the greenleaf trail but then changed to the Skook.However since the snow was close to the garfield ridge trail/Skook trail intersection,it made sense just to keep pushing all the way to the ridge.The ridge line was cold and very windy making Lafayette not a option.It lightly rained the whole hike slowing me down on the upper rocks a bit.Saw some very interesting scat which seemed to be cat like and very large[bigger then any bobcat scat I have seen before.Maybe a lynx?]Was so happy to see and play in snow/ice my 8th month in a row in N.H.Wow!Quite the contrast to another report that described snow on a trail as"annoying".It is N.H. right?:)This trail is gem,saw no one all day.Not a day for views,but ok if you like the woods as much as I do....

Last edited: