North & South Twin

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Herrmann

Reaction score
Could anyone suggest the best way up North Twin from Rt.3 ? I wasn't sure if Haystack rd. is closed in winter. I may choose to hike back a ways and campout. I have camped on the Gale River Tr. in the past and climbed Galehead and Garfield. We ran out of time and didn't think we could make it to So. and No. Twin. This route is an option, but figured there is an easier way. Any info would be appreciated! Thanks, Happy New Year!!

The above mentioned route is fantastic! A possible addition is to tack on Hale via FW for a longer but even more rewarding day - one of my favorite trips from last year!

Hikes to N. Twin & others with Road closings

Does anyone have an guestimate of how many miles parking at Little River Road adds to your trip before you get to the N. Twin trailhead? I am sure it is less than the 2.5 miles you need to walk up Haystack Rd. Just trying to figure how long if we add in S. Twin.

We are lmoderate winter hikers with 12 winter peaks under our belts. We are looking for the best routes to hit the peaks on RT3/RT302, which have road closings. From reading posts, there are options, we are just not familar with some of the names, e.g. Warden's trail, etc.

Garfield
N & S Twin
Galehead
Zealand
Hale

Thanks & Happy New Year

It's about 1 mile (by MapSource) or 25-30 minutes in good conditions (by experience). Definitely shorter than Haystack Road, and well-traveled. There is also a snow machine corridor in that area which takes you to Haystack Road a bit further out (but only a little bit.)

Garfield - you walk from 5 Corners, or come up from the Gale River end.
Galehead - You can use Beaver Brook Ski Area and follow the ski trails to Gale River Road to access Gale River Trail, or make a loop with Garfield.
The Twins (optionally with Galehead) - same idea - In from Little River Road, out to Beaver Brook (carspot).
Hale - Firewarden / Mount Hale Trail (abandoned, easy to follow) from the North Twin Trail 5 minutes past first crossing (skip the crossing, keep the river on your right.)
Zealand - road walk.

Hale, Zealand, Twins
Twins and Galehead

Tim

Last edited:
North Twin

When you say a bit further out...do you mean that once you get to Haystack Rd. you are further up than the trailhead?

conditions

I climbed North Twin today, from the small parking area at the end of Little River road. The trail was well broken out the whole way, and it was surprisingly gentle I thought. You'd probably want some traction on the way up, and definitely on the way back down. I think it's a good hike to do in early spring or winter. I wasn't feeling especially ambitious so I didn't head on over to South Twin or anything. It was rather chilly up near the summit on the outlook ledges; I'd guess it was right around 0°F.

I don't know how fun climbing Garfield in the winter would be; it's so steep and rocky, seems like it'd be really treacherous and slow going. The view at the summit is pretty great, but it'd be a hard won reward.

...I don't know how fun climbing Garfield in the winter would be; it's so steep and rocky, seems like it'd be really treacherous and slow going. The view at the summit is pretty great, but it'd be a hard won reward.

Once there's a bit of snow, that section is much easier than in summer. It's still steep, but it's mostly all filled in with snow & ice.

Twin Mtn.

Thanks for the input (Wisher). I may try the Twins this weekend. As for Garfield, that is actually a nice hike. Unfortunately, the winter that I had done it, there was maybe 2' snow and it rained all day on us. Two of us worked hard to break trail all day. The next morning we went up again to do Galehead and we met a group that was coming from Garfield, claiming what a great time they were having on this nice broken out trail. We just looked at each other and sighed! That's FUN in the mountains.

Garfield is one of the easiest winter peaks for the mileage, I think. Save for the last quarter mile or so, it's skiable.

I second the above, Garf really was quite easy when I did it, except for the overall miles traveled.. but for that distance it wasn't that bad. Views in winter are beyond amazing!