North Sugarloaf and Our Own Sugar

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Early Bird

Reaction score
Today we hiked North Sugarloaf. When we parked at the first parking area 1 mile up Zealand Road, we got out of the car and saw a xc ski trail. Our 4 year old, Pink Eagle, after being bundled up took off running down that trail. We followed. In less than 5 minutes we were at a campground and paved road. A sign read Trestle Brook Trail. I knew this to be the trail we wanted and that in .15 it would split to the Sugarloaf Trail, but this area didn't sound familiar. Out came the trail book (Best Hikes with Kids: VT, NH, ME) and map. Neither was helpful except in not mentioning a camping area so we backtracked, and shortly found that the actual trailhead is over the bridge beyond the parking area, although the other trail would have looped over to this one also.

Now on the right/ better path we walked along a nice river when summer waters and wide pools would be refreshing. On this 28 degree morning flurries danced and icy patches covered the trail. We put on Pink Eagles ice creepers (Stabilicers Lite). The ice was very easily avoidable by longer legs and more observant hikers, but Pink Eagle enjoyed sliding purposefully over the ice without slipping. Once the trail crossed over the bog bridges and away from the water we took them off an encountered no more ice until the summit.

This is a great short hike or a perfect trail for kids. After the joy of using ice creepers came huge boulders. A couple of them were split so that only a small person could squeeze through effortlessly. The Anti-Zen and I managed to get through once we took off our packs. Others were fun to climb or imagine as giant's furniture.

Beyond the boulders came a series of rock stairs. We counted 89 and once they ended we were pretty much at the junction. Middle Sugarloaf (52 with a View) goes left and North Sugarloaf goes right. We continued right past the coyote scat after some up close looks to note that it had digested something furry. A little dip down and then up into an emerald spruce forest, before long (.3 miles) we were on the ledges and open summit enjoying a big, beautiful view and drinking hot Gatorade. On the way up, we asked Pink Eagle what sugary snacks we would find on the top of Sugarloaf. :p Upon arrival could find no sugary snack shack up there so we ate our own lollipop, half frozen fruit snacks and energy bars.

On the way down the temps were a little warmer, we told stories and played in the boulders again. It was great to run into dritter and marchowes that I hadn't seen since my pre-baby hiking days. Good luck to them on their quest for the 300 highest. This was a great family hike. We hope to get out here again with other kids next summer.