Northern Presidential Day Hike

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamhiker

Reaction score
I am interested in going hiking in the northern Presidentials and was wondering about a good route. I really enjoy both the woods (especially the hardwoods) and also enjoy walking along the top of a ridge. Ideally a 60% woods, 40% ridge trail would be perfect. I am interested in hiking to Adams and Madison or Adams and Jefferson. Looking at the map, there are so many combinations. I am leaning slightly towards hiking through the Great Gulf, but am also interested in the northern trails (such as Lowe's Path or Airline). I am looking for a 8 – 10 hour hike. I know that I can achieve that from the north, but am concerned it might be too long going through the Great Gulf. Thank you very much for your help.

Last edited:
I'd second Kevin's suggestion except to take the Brookside trail to the Watson Path instead of Valley Way.

Thank you for the sugestions.

I am debating between taking Valley Way or Brookside up to Watson path. I am leaning towards Brookside but am concerned that may not be as well marked as the more heavily used Valley Way. Is the Brookside trail well marked?

How much longer am I adding to the trip by doing both Madison and Adams? If it is too long I might shorten the hike to Madison or Adams only. If I only do Madison I would return via the hut and then the Airline trail. Or if I do Adams only I would go up via Valley Way/Brookside and go down Airline.

Which way do you recommend?

Thank you!

If conditions are dry one of my favorite hikes in the east is to ascend the King Ravine trail up the headwall of King Ravine, traverse Adams and Madison, the descend the Howker ridge trail. This is doable in 8-10 hours round trip from appalachia. There are many variations on this theme you can do with the many other trails in the area ofcourse. Somtimes the best fun is to decide which trail to take when you are standing at the trail junction (assuming you have a good map and know where you are going ofcourse).

Cheers-
John

First of all, the Brookside trail is well-marked and I think it's a more interesting trail than Valley Way, especially if you're going up the Watson Path.

It's difficult for someone to estimate the time it would take you to do this hike because we all hike at different paces, but I would recommend going up Madison, down to the hut and then deciding whether to add Adams. It would take me about 5 hours to get up Madison and probably another hour or so up Adams, then about 4 hours back down.

I'd go up the Howker Ridge Trail, over Madison & Adams, then down the Valley Way trail to Randolph Path East. That'll put you right back at your car. The Howker Ridge Trail is great to ascend because it's very pretty and gives you periodic glimpses of views (on top of each of the 'howks' or bumps on the ridgeline) and is far less traveled than some of the other routes. Then Valley Way down isn't too bad, and the Randolph path is a very easy, flat gentle end to the hike.

If you just do Madison it should fall well within your time guidelines; adding Adams might push it depending on your personal hiking speed.

Cool.....I plan on taking Brookside to Watson path to the Summit of Madison...then to the hut......then maybe a scenic detour to Mt Adams before returning via Airline :)

Thank you for your help!