Northern Presis Waterfalls and Woods - September 14, 2006

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sapblatt

Reaction score
Some places you may not have been...

The original plan was to do the Baldfaces (this seems to be my opening line every time I plan to hike the Baldfaces), but with rain in the forecast I wanted to do something safer and more protected – the lower trails in the northern Presis! This was also to be a special trip as Marty and I have never actually hiked outside of the high peaks of Rowley, MA and we were looking forward to getting out.

We met at his house at 4:20am and headed north. Cloudy, threatening – but no rain. We made it to Appalachia by about 7:15am and we hit the trail around 7:30. There was really only a loosely defined plan for the day – Marty was going to follow me around as I worked on my redlining of the area. We decided that even though it was not raining, it was in the forecast and we would stay off the high peaks. We headed out on the Link towards Memorial Bridge and got our fist look of the day at Coldbrook Falls. This section of the Link is not the section everyone swears about, in fact it is about as mellow of a hike as you can find in this area. We took our time as we gently climbed up towards first, Lowe’s Path and then continued on to the Israel Ridge Path.

At this junction we headed up a ways to the Cascades, which I just saw for the first time two weeks ago – they are really nice. Lots of water following over large ledges. If you go up about 20 feet there is a nice place to sit. Still no rain! We headed back down to meet up with the Cabin Cascades Trail which runs from here to the Log Cabin. This trail is wild, rough, seems longer than a mile and is now one of my favorite trails in the Whites. This trail may be the ultimate example of a great place to hike if you want to avoid the crowds. It is lightly used, well marked and mostly easy to follow. There are some climbs in the beginning and then it ambles along to the Log Cabin. Looks like a nice place to live along this trail if you are a bear or a moose.

The Log Cabin was really something to see for me. The last time I was here was last October and region was buried in four plus feet of snow. That trip, when I tried to find the outhouse in the morning I was clueless. I was amazed to see a sign on a tree this time that was at about six feet high – this was not visible last year. We met up with a couple from Maine and their medium friendly Australian Shepard, Ozzy at the cabin – these would be our only encounters with people or dogs all day. We continued on along the Log Cabin Cut Off (when I redline – I get every last little piece of trail) to where it joins the Randolph Path.

We crossed Spur Brook and went down to the Pentadoi and crossed the King Ravine Trail and then moved along the Randolph Path to the Cliffway. We decided that we would get these trails today too – trying to figure out how to do it with the least amount of double backing was a challenge. This area, which I have only heard one or two others ever mention was really cool. Spur Brook Falls are spectacular and there are some real nice boggy sections with real lush mosses. We saw bear and moose scat in this area and it looked like real good habitat for any animal. We took the turn on to the Monoway and then proceeded down to the Ladderback Trail which brings you to some nice views and a rather scary drop off/cliff with nice views down towards Randolph and Bowman – and yes, there was foliage! We rejoined the Cliffway back around to the Monoway and then I decided I had enough today – the section of the Cliffway to the Link will have to wait for another day.

We eventually made it back down to the Amphibrach which I had hiked last September as well. This trail is not very rocky and descends at a nice clip – you get down quickly, but not out of control. We stopped for awhile at Coldbrook Falls which are a lot more spectacular when viewed from this area compared to the view from Memorial Bridge. Soon, we were back at Memorial Bridge and this time we headed up Slyvan Way to see the falls from the other side. The view is even better if you follow a small herd path above where the trail turns to the west for a little ways.

We continued along this easy path and made it back to the Marty’s truck via the Valley Way to end a nice, long day in the woods. This hike, or countless variations are really nice and never crowded. This would make a nice rainy day alternative to Waumek or Tecumseh. Great to get out with Marty - we had a great time. And by the way – IT DID NOT RAIN!!!!!

PICTURES

Hey, I'm from Rowley MA. . Sounds like a great day for soul hiking!

Mike - you captured the essence of our fine exploration of the Northern Presi's. Like yourself, I love doing remote rambles! It was an absolute pleasure to hike with you again and can't wait until next time.

By the way, I was unable to find any information about the significance of Ladderback Rock. This appears to be an average rock on the Ladderback trail, with a sign indicating its name. If anyone in VFTT land knows anything about this rock, please let us know!

Best regards,
Marty

Stop the presses: Sapblatt went hiking and it did not rain!!! Sounds like you two had a great time! :D

alpinista said:
Stop the presses: Sapblatt went hiking and it did not rain!!! Sounds like you two had a great time! :D
Yes - it is hard to believe!!
Of course - I was ready for it...
I even hiked on the North Shore yesterday and it was hot and sunny - may need to buy different gear! :p

Marty - Had a blast - still cannot understand why Ladderback Rock has a name and so many other boulders do not!

Great pics...Coldbrook is one of my favorite falls in the whites!!! and you shots really present it well. Glad you had a good hike!

~w7x