Northville Placid Trail Run 2005 (ADK)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Seaver

Reaction score
Here we go...attempt 2 of the Northville Placid Trail as a trail run. 122 miles of fun. Everything from miles of delightfully buffed singletrack to miserably mucky sections of broken and or rotting log bridges. Deerflies by the bucketful. What more could one ask for?

I'd add more, but we are running late.

Here is a timeline of our plan - we should be running pretty close to the schedule. Anyone in the area is welcome to swing by one of our support points and say hi to Liz and Jamie.

Tim, good luck! There aren't any dates on your post, or timelog? Anyway, I'll be at Wakely Dam tomorrow morning and again (hopefully ... ;) ) in the early evening, so maybe I'll see some of your support crew? I'll leave you a large artichoke heart and red pepper pizza and cold Sierra by the roadside ...

Weather looks perfect! Have wings ...

Best of luck, Tim. Godspeed to ya!

Good luck! That's something I've always wanted to do, but other obligations have stood in the way.

Do you know the current record? The ADK NP Guidebook says something about 40 hours, but I doubt that's current.

(4 mph average seems pretty aggressive, especially with night travel included. The winners of the recent Adk trail run only averaged 5.5 mph, and that was for only 11 miles in daylight, carrying no gear.)

Make it happen!

TCD

With a face like that how can you go wrong. :) May your feet be as swift as the fox.

I finished at 10:31 on Sunday night, with a time of 37:31 - while this was quite a bit short of our projected time due to a major loss of speed in the last 16 miles. Given that this is my first 100+ mile run I am still pretty happy with the time, and learned quite a bit from the experience. My crew had their share of adventure as well, which is putting it mildly.

The morning after, following breakfast in Northville:
TheCrew.jpg

A huge thanks to my friends and family that made this adventure possible
Left to Right: Elisabeth, Isaac, Phyllis, Joe, Tim
Front: Ethan, Jamie

Full details will follow in the days to come.

Last edited:
Super job, man! That's FLYING!

Nice run, Hermes.

We left the dam at around 9:30. Still no sign of the support crew, so I had to chow the pizza down myself ... thinking of your great run of course. :)

You lucked out catching one of this summer's rare breaks of nice weather. Beautiful sunset, too. Look forward to reading the full report.

Update

I updated our timeline with our actual event times, but am still working on the "story".

I am also anxiously awaiting word from some people in the ADK who administer the end-to-end program on the NPT, who hopefully will be able to tell me where Richard Denker started and ended his 40 hour trip in 1973.

The Saga Continues

I finally was able to talk to the administrator of the NPT end-to-end program, in hopes that more information might be unearthed on Richard Denker's 40 hour record. Although he didn't have the time to research the records for that year, he is graciously going to allow me to look through the records for 1973 ( he has them dating back to 1971) to see if I can find anything.

The current application doesn't even mention the "official" trail ends at the end of the roadwalks, but the admin. was unsure as to when the ADK began recognizing the currently accepted trailends as such. Where o where is the GURU of the NPT? The all-seeing-all-knowing one? Perhaps lurking in some dusty ADK chapter in Lake George? HELP!!!

Our appointment is for September 1st, so the torture of not knowing if I have a FKT (fastest known time) for the NPT continues for the time being...

Even if I never find out, it was still a wonderful adventure in a beautiful setting - but it's the kinda thing that can drive you crazy not knowing!:confused: