Nostalgic Hike – N/S Twin

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bandana4me

Reaction score
On Wed 8/6 I attacked my honey-do list with vigor so I could free up sometime time on Thursday to do a short hike. Mind you a honey-do list is one that will never ever be completed (I am convinced that when they are putting me into the ground, my wife will slip a honey-do list into my hands for me to do before she arrives at the pearly gates. Little does she realize that our vows are “until death do us part”, at death I will have completed that vow and will be single again!).

I started to gather my equipment and went through some of my out dated hiking gear. As I thought more and more (thinking is so much work) I decided I was taking my old stuff for another adventure into the woods. Why not, this was top notch equipment (a long time ago). First I pulled out a Sierra West Anorak; it was one of the first garments made out of that new high tech material called Gore-Tex (purchased in ’77). I dusted off the old Svea 123 and fired it up, still sounded like a jet engine! Of course the Svea was encompassed by that bulky Sigg Tourist kit. Grabbed my old trusty Fabiano Hiking boots with a pair of Ragg wool socks (how did my feet ever survive such torture?). No journey from the past would be complete without a Sierra cup (you just weren’t cool unless you had that cup hanging from your pack or belt!). For pure punishment I stopped at the store to purchase 2 grand items that went on almost every trip, a can of Spam (is Monty Python on tonight?) and that’s right folks Chef Boyardee Beefaroni.

Marley (my dog) and I needed to find a trail to go down memory lane. Then it hit me, the North Twin Trail, which was my introduction to hiking. We headed out for the long journey to the trailhead (maybe 7 or 8 miles) and reached it within minutes. I have to admit we stayed on the East side of the river for the first crossing. It was a glorious day in the mountains (like there are bad days) with plenty of sunshine and comfortable temps. On the top of North twin I broke out the stove to have my lunch, Beefaroni, wow did I really eat this stuff when I was young? It is amazing my stomach is still intact. I would have given it to the dog but, I think there are laws that prohibit cruelty to animals! Good thing I brought that non-nostalgic zip lock bag to pack that food (if that is what they call it) out to a dump!

From there we wandered aimlessly over to South Twin (as Marley has not seen these 2 peaks without snow on them). There we saw 2 hikers having their lunch, we said our pleasant hellos and they patted Marley and we wondered what the eyes of a dog see on top of the mountain. That perplexed me (not hard to do) for a while on the hike back to the trailhead. I had hoped for rain to see if that old Gore-Tex garment was still as good as when I bought it. Well maybe in another 20 or so years I will bring out again.

Last edited: