Not making a habit of Cabot?.......10/17/2009

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PETCH

Reaction score
Peaks/Trails: Mt Cabot via York Pond Trail, Bunnell Notch Trail, Kilkenny Ridge

Trail Date: 10/17/2009

Participants: CrazyBob, Jim, Dana, Jorge, Helen, Russell, Myron, and Petch

Trail Conditions: Started off with some damp conditions/mud at the bottom of Bunnell Notch Trail, then turned to snow as we ascended. About 4" of snow up towards the summit. Some slippery areas, but bare bootable. Bright sun caused much of snow to melt as day progressed. Some boot-sucking mud on the return trip.

Commentary: CrazyBob and I met up with Jim in Windham and we began our long journey north towards Berlin, N.H. After a stop at D&D, we met Jorge, Helen, Myron, and Russell in North Conway. Then off again towards York Pond Rd. Mt. Washington was in the clear, and we could tell we were in for another great weather day.

Many of us had never been to Berlin before and after getting a little lost trying to find Rt110, and taking a tour of some of Berlin's "finest" neighborhoods- I doubt many of will be returning there for vacation. Although, I bet rents and real estate in general must be fairly inexpensive. I am from a remote, depressed Mill town, so it brought back a lot of "pleasant" memories.......

We met up with Dana on York Pond Rd and parked up at the Unknown Pond Trailhead. We saddled up the horses and started up the York Pond Trail, then the quick turn to the Bunnell Notch Trail. The bright sun had most of us starting in light layers and a couple in shorts! The humanity... The trail starts off gradual and never really gets very steep. Even with snow on the trail, no light traction was needed. CrazyBob and Jim leading the charge at a pretty good clip, with myself being the caboose (Darwinism).

P1010465%5B1%5D.JPG

We passed a couple groups on the way up. Some with overnight gear heading towards the Unknown Pond tentsite. I don't think it's so "unknown" anymore. We reached the Kilkenny Ridge Trail junction, then shortly after, the Cabot Trail junction. The last section of trail heading up the summit was really pretty with inches of snow weighing down the spruce tree branches. My hiking poles were sticking out of my pack hitting the tree branches, dumping snow on top of my head and down my neck- yes, winter is here! Well, not technically.

P1010468%5B1%5D.JPG

We stopped at the cabin for a bit, then went and tagged the summit. Then back to the cabin for lunch. The lookout just past the cabin provided great views. Cannon could be seen off in the distance. The hike down went quick with just a couple stops to take some ice pictures near the stream.

P1010471%5B2%5D.JPG

It is possible to do a loop hike, going up and over Cabot and returning by the Unknown Pond Trail, but everyone except me wanted to get to the Moat as soon as possible. Or was that the other way around? Almost as many dogs as people on the trails today. One dog was wearing booties on all 4 paws (see pix). That got me thinking about whether they make microspikes for dogs?......then I thought about the whole scratching thing- Ouch!, don't try to visualize that.:eek:

Back at the car, Jim was kind enough to supply us with a cold beverage which we consumed rapidly. Then we took some group photos. The gang of 8 turned into a gang of 7 (Dana couldn't join us) and off we headed to the Moat for food and spirits. We discussed how to solve the worlds problems, hiking gear, sports, and what is wrong with the New England Patriots. I have lobbied hard to get rid of Maroney. As I begin writing this trip report, he just ran for a touchdown.....figures, but I say get rid of him anyway. He's too soft. 59 to zero......Yeah, Brady looks a little better.

PA170225.JPG

Although the weather was great, and the trail was pretty scenic, many discussed not "Making a habit of Cabot". Simply doing it because it's on the list. The long drive is a deturrence for many. I think I would like to do this trail again with snowshoes, or as part of a mini-traverse on some of the Kilkenny Ridge Trail. Some year in the future.

Hiking Stats: A little over 9 miles, 5 hrs 20min hiking, about the same or more in driving time

Slideshow ^

Hiking Pictures:http://picasaweb.google.com/mpetcher

Ascent List:http://peakbagger.com/climber/climblistc.aspx?cid=1767

Petch

Last edited:
nice report Mike. I was at home in Maine, taking a break from the "list." sounds like you all had a fun day.

As usual it was a great trip report Mike. I am glad I finally got a chance to hike with the infamous Jorge Paz and hope for many more trips with him in the future. It was a great group to share the Whites with. :D

nice report Mike. I was at home in Maine, taking a break from the "list." sounds like you all had a fun day.
Keith, I saw your Trail Conditions report for Megunticook and Battie. It is a great area.

As usual it was a great trip report Mike. I am glad I finally got a chance to hike with the infamous Jorge Paz and hope for many more trips with him in the future. It was a great group to share the Whites with. :D
Bob, Jorge is a great guy with a ton of mountaineering experience. If you really want to do Rainier, talk to Jorge.....

Nice TR, Mike. (Gotta love Moat Mountain for the post-hike recovery meal and, um..."hydration". ;))

P.S. New avatar? I miss Bob and Larry already...
Thanks J.Dub. I really like the Moat, and the Texas Chili on anything......
Yes, I have retired the Veggie-tales avatar for now. The current one from a Tom, Field, Willey, Avalon hike last winter.

Sounds like a great day. Nice photos.
Thx DrJJ, yes the weather was great. Been lucky lately....

Nice trip report and great pics. I sure missed a good hiking day.

Cabot is on my to-do list, but I want to tackle it via Unknown Pond Trail from the northwest and hit the Horn and Bulge on the way.
Thx Feldmarschal.....yeah I think the Horn and the Bulge are on another list as well......