Notes Collected While (Hitch)Hiking in Maine

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
John H Swanson said:
Recommend you ask a local where you can hire someone with a skidder to come in and pull you out. I heard of someone that had it done for $100 a number of years ago.

This is your best option however I would expect to pay at least $100 just to get a skidder on site.

If it was closer and gas was not so much $$ I would come and plow you out
I have been stuck in mud/snow/hung up on rocks so many times its second nature how to get unstuck.

Finsing Lost "Stuff"

I was bushwhacking through the woods in the dacks and I found a glider. Not a toy glider or a remote control glider, but a real glider. The wings had sheared off when it hit the first trees and were laying about 100 feet away. The canopy had been broken open as if to extract the pilot. After I got over the fear of finding a body, I looked it over and then continued on my way. We all "find" stuff in the woods and it is not always possible to return it. For the next few weeks I hatched plans to go in a retrieve the wreck. I even looked into the owner and the potential market for this thing. As an engineer, I'm sure I could have retrived it and with some effort gotten it home.

I have recounted this story numerous times. I was at a family dinner and the subject came up. Someone asked if I could have legally keep it if I found it and brought it home. We all looked to the lawyer/judge and he answered with this question.... what if it was a car parked in the woods, do you think you could keep that too. He went on to say, what if you found it parked on someone's property....like in their back yard. I guess finders/keepers doesn't apply to planes and cars. I think things are different at sea.

Anyway, sorry for the gallows humor, but at least you don't have to worry about me running up there and "finding and keeping" your car.

Hope you got it out okay.

There's definately some bizarre "finders keepers" rules for boats and ships, to the point I've heard with "Sea-Tow" type "rescues" for recreational boats you need to specify that you are not abandoning the boat. If it's considered abandoned it becomes the property of the tow operator. Abandoned can mean you got out of your boat to ride in the tow boat.

This past weekend was a busy one for me, so it is still sitting there (I hope). Hillwalker and I are heading up on Saturday and maybe find it still in one piece. It has been warm up there and there wasn't too much melting left to go.

Have you notified the local police? It might not be a bad idea to let them know what your situation is in case someone reports it.

Sorry about your situation, Paradox. Caribou Pond Road is bad at almost any time, but right now? I doubt that it will be passable for at least a couple of weeks. I certainly wouldn't count on being able to get up there any time soon - I was in Stratton a week and a half ago and it was snowing like mad. No farmers around anywhere local - perhaps someone from the mountain or loggers could help?

It's Out, It's Home

Hillwalker and I drove up CPR on Saturday morning (5/17/08). We drove right up to my car. I could drive it out no problem, the CPR is dry virtually the whole way with no muddy spots to speak of.

Many thanks to Hillwalker, Ishmael, my wife, Jack, and all those who suggested things. Also the support staff of Milton Snow, Timon Miside,and Simon Likeforever.

Paradox said:
I could drive it out no problem, the CPR is dry virtually the whole way with no muddy spots to speak of.
Thanks goodness. I've been reading about this with no advice to offer. Very glad it is over with for you. TGIS(spring)