Of trouts and trees - intentionally blocking streams

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There was an interesting article in the Spring Northern Woodlands magazine about improving fish habitat and stream and river health by restoring the streams to their conditions prior to logging and development. THey used Nash Stream as an example, but there are other projects in the region like "chop and drop" being used on the headwaters and main channels of the Sunday River in Bethel. Unfortunately the Northern Woodland article isnt on line, but I highly recomend trying to find one, probably at a local library.

Bascially the premise is that during the logging era, loggers would straighten out water courses to make them more suitable for logging drives. they would alos remove major boulders and other objects that may entrap trees. One of Pikes logging books makes reference to loggin crews working during the off season to accomplish this task. I have also seen reference to major alterations that wer done to rivers in VT where there is evidence of many old mill ponds where fast moving water was dammed, whihc resulted in sediment buildup up stream, which then tended to form a straight channel when the dam eventually failed. They also discuss the impact of installed culverts that discharge at an elevation above the streambed which acts tpe prevent fish migration. With exception of most culverts, all those alterations have helped recreational paddlers and probably has opened up previoulsy unnavigable waters.

The research at Nash Stream and elsewhere is to intentionaly create blocked rivers by reintroducing trees, root clumps and boulders back into the channel to crewat pools and eddies. They have some pretty good research that the fishery improves, but I expect the spring paddling sure is impacted.

So the question is (after a long introduction), is this something to consider when paddling smaller stream and rivers? In the past, I know of many folks in the past who would carry hand saws and cut passages through snags in the river, other groups were far more aggresive and used chainsaws and comealongs to drag obstructions out of rivers. Granted I dont get much exposure to the paddling trends these days, but was wondering what do the folks on the forum think of this? When I used to follow a New England Paddlers forum several years ago, the saw and drag approach to open up rivers was still discussed so its not ancient history.

On some public streams or on private sections of streams, groups of trout fishing enthusiasts such as Trout Unlimited try to keep the water fish-friendly.
Flooding or springmelt scour away the rocks. Aquatic insects are the main food for trout and these insects are found under the rocks. As a result, TU and others try to keep runoff from blasting down the watercourse.
Log dams are one way to do this. Water flowing over those logs also aerates the water making it further trout friendly.
These man made activities usually take place on smaller streams, but not always.

So the question is (after a long introduction), is this something to consider when paddling smaller stream and rivers? In the past, I know of many folks in the past who would carry hand saws and cut passages through snags in the river, other groups were far more aggresive and used chainsaws and comealongs to drag obstructions out of rivers. Granted I dont get much exposure to the paddling trends these days, but was wondering what do the folks on the forum think of this? When I used to follow a New England Paddlers forum several years ago, the saw and drag approach to open up rivers was still discussed so its not ancient history.

When I paddle for the first time each spring, I usually make sure I bring several sticks of dynamite for this reason. Why waste time cutting or chopping when I could simply light a fuse.

Crazy stuff.

The history there sounds interesting though. Would like to read more about it.

Since you asked...can't nature just be left to run it's own course? I will admit to this perhaps...if a small strainer is in my way, or better yet if I'm caught in it, yes, I might be inclined to move it but I would not be spending any of my valuable time changing the route of a river or stream or creek that mother nature intends it to take. Not a big fan of special interest groups...paddlers or fishermen...or cyclists or hikers.

BTW...is that Issue 68 with "Rebuilding a Trout Stream?"

Last edited:
On the one fast local stream that I paddle on, we cut away some of the fallen branches in order to provide a safe path for paddlers to go through, but we don't remove or relocate logs. On the Oswegatchie River between the headwaters and High Falls, larger logs have a section removed, or a notch cut into the bottom in order to allow paddlers to get through. Minimal removal of trees is the norm.