Old Speck

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rup

Reaction score
Looks like the weather will co-operate this weekend. Anyone have very recent news on the trail (snow), bugs, or anything else???

I hiked Goose Eye from Ketchum (Wright Trail) Saturday 05/16. No bugs to speak of, but my camp is located just before Grafton Notch and the Black fly's were out in Force. I'm guessing that it was an elevation thing for the bug difference. My camp is much lower than the Wright trail. I would guess that after the heat wave we are getting Friday the black fly's will be on the attack at least near the parking lot level for Old Speck. Bring the bug dope.

For a 'loop' on Old Speck, is there a preference of up the 'eyebrow' on the inward leg, or visa-versa??

Down the eyebrow

I hiked Old Speck a couple years ago, I went down the eyebrow and was glad I did. It was more like a controlled fall than an actual trail...

My hike was in late June, but there was a father & son on the summit in full winter parkas / gloves / etc, and I wished I had an extra layer - but especially the gloves! The ladder up the observation tower is metal, and it was sooo cold (how cold was it) that I only made it partway up, and my hands hurt for 20 minutes even so. The summit views are pretty limited if you don't get up the tower.

Pictures from my hike

I hiked Old Speck a couple years ago, I went down the eyebrow and was glad I did. It was more like a controlled fall than an actual trail...
Nice pics! I have hiked this 2 times but didn't do the eyebrow. Very interesting the ropes going down the trail. I would think it would be better to go up the eyebrow trail and use the ropes (or cables) to help you up.

My hike was in late June, but there was a father & son on the summit in full winter parkas / gloves / etc, and I wished I had an extra layer - but especially the gloves! The ladder up the observation tower is metal, and it was sooo cold (how cold was it) that I only made it partway up, and my hands hurt for 20 minutes even so. The summit views are pretty limited if you don't get up the tower.

Pictures from my hike

We did this loop in April this year...up the eyebrow and down the AT...still lots of snow quite early (up to 6 feet near the top) and ice on the eyebrow! I remember telling hubby we WEREN'T going down this thing...up was hard enough at that point (thank GAWD for crampons!). I had gloves with me but...didn't think I needed them up on the tower. Probably wouldn't have IF...I hadn't frozen my hands getting UP THERE!!! We had to cut our dinner with the grey jays short becuase of my hands. Oh well...:eek: