Older son's 1st Winter High Peak - Tecumseh 1/20/08

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip

Reaction score
After my wife and boys dropped me off at Glencliff Trail to hike Moosi with Paradox, Scott, Early Bird and the "the other Gig" on Saturday, they went to ski Cannon. I wanted to hike something on Sunday, so when Grant (my 12 1/2 year old (going on 17 :rolleyes: )) decided he'd rather hike than ski, I had a partner. After sleeping late and a good breakfast we made our way to Waterville Valley. Diane, my wife, and younger son, Ben dropped me and Grant at Tecumseh Trail, drove 20 feet into the parking lot and parked. As we headed up they unloaded to ski and board for the afternoon.

Grant's done several of the 48, mainly for the "Flags" event. This would be his first Winter High Peak (if we made the summit :eek: ). Tecumseh was well packed out. It was cold, about 10 degrees, and sunny. About half way up you do the switch-back across the stream and get closer to the slopes. The next section is pretty unrelenting in it's desire to take you higher without catching a breath. Grant soon gave me a "This is getting old" and then a bit later "This is really getting old, can we turn around ?" So this is where I have to promise "we're close" and "it'll be worthwhile" and "you'll see, coming down is much more fun" and "I've got a candy bar for you soon". So he agrees to carry on.

Below the intersection of Sosman we stopped, layered up, ate and drank more water. Grant was now warm, hydrated and sugared. We soon made the shoulder and summit, clicked some more pics and headed down. Grant did enjoy the summit but REALLY got a kick out of the boot skiing on the way back down. We were in "Buckets" in the lodge ordering wings, burgers and beers (root and stout) before the kick-off. Di and Ben soon joined us and we were back at The Beacon for the second half.

Here's some pics. Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Ahha! More ways to say, "suck it up". I'll have to keep those in mind in addition to "See how you feel in a little while". ;) I missed that pool last time I hiked Tecumseh. Glad to hear you had a great weekend in NH. Congrats to Grant on his first winter peak.

Early Bird said:
Ahha! More ways to say, "suck it up". I'll have to keep those in mind in addition to "See how you feel in a little while". ;)
Yeah, no kidding. Or "Don't worry about it, we're almost there." :rolleyes:
No wonder your Gig stays home most days and lets you hike. :eek:

Thanks for the kind words, all. Grant now understands pics and trip reports are also an upside to the uphill.

I must do that hike sometime if there is a pool involved. I just hope it's heated cause I'd hate to get there and it being an ice rink. I wonder why the mtn isn't so crowded with the pool there and such. :p

nice photos, BTW, how do you get phanfare to allow non-members to view it. I recently started an account and sent some photos to friends without realized that they had to have an account to view them. I see your photos are registration free, however, you also have a chip.phanfare.com URL, are you paying?

Jay

Jay H said:
nice photos, BTW, how do you get phanfare to allow non-members to view it. I recently started an account and sent some photos to friends without realized that they had to have an account to view them. I see your photos are registration free, however, you also have a chip.phanfare.com URL, are you paying?

Jay
I must be grand-fathered into the old system. I have to do some research on it. I think eventually I'd be forced into the same system now offered.