Orienteering - Exeter, NH

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

albee

Reaction score
This Sunday, May 14th, a local orienteering club is hosting a small meet in Henderson-Swazey town forest, also known as Fort Rock, in Exeter, NH.

This will be a good opportunity to develop map and compass skills and a chance to get out and try something fun if you've never tried it before. There will be a number of different courses for different ability levels, and there is a nominal entry fee ($5 I think?) that gets you a topo map of the area.

I'm going to try to be there and if anyone else wants to meet up I'd be interested. Teams are allowed, also, so bring a friend. If anyone wants to meet up for lunch/drinks/etc in town afterward I'd be game. Please reply here or PM.

Any takers?

If you don't know how an orienteering event works, you basically use a map and compass to navigate through the woods along a course marked with controls. The easier courses stick close to the trails, the harder courses require you to bushwhack quite a bit.

For info and directions, see this link: http://www.geocities.com/upnoor/
Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with this event, nor am I a member of the club putting it on. I just think VTFF'ers would enjoy it.

Wish I would have seen this sooner....bummer....I have been wanting to do this for a while. Maybe next time.

Sunday May 14th... Why does that date sound familiar???
Mother's Day.
Dang!
That would have been cool. Maybe next time.

Fort Rock O Postponed

I just got an email from the event coordinator telling us that the event has been postponed. The ground is just too flooded. It must be something about this event for mw,I done it 4 times, all in a driving rain. Guess i'll sleep late tommorow. Check the UNO site for details
Bob

Might want to mark these dates for events coming up in NH, sponsored by Up North Orienteers:

Sun June 18: Beaver Brook Association, Hollis, NH (Given the current weather situation and this locale's flooding susceptibility, I'd check this one for any possible cancellation before heading over there.)
Courses: W,Y,O,G,R. Registration and starts from 10am to 1pm.
Directions: From Route 3 exit 6 take Route 130 West to Route 122 in Hollis. Turn Left (South) on Route 122. In one mile turn Right on Ridge Road. Watch for O signs.

Sat,Sun September 9-10: UNO Camping Weekend at Pawtuckaway State Park, Nottingham, NH
Save the dates for a weekend of orienteering fun. Two full days of courses (String,W,Y,O,G,R,B) plus all the usual fun extras. Maybe a new additional twist as well?? Perhaps the "World's Toughest Night-O" to entertain those looking for a new challenge.

Sun September 17 National Orienteering Day: Beaver Brook Association, Hollis, NH
Courses: W,Y,O,G,R. Registration and starts from 10am to 1pm.
Directions: From Route 3 exit 6 take Route 130 West to Route 122 in Hollis. Turn Left (South) on Route 122. In one mile turn Right on Ridge Road. Watch for O signs.
Meet director TBD: If you want to help out with course setting or meet directing for this event please contact Pete.