Osceola attempt, plus VFTT sightings

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mohamed Ellozy

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Friday, the day we work off the turkey (and stuffing, and mashed potatoes, and other starches, and pies, and ...). I decided to do Mt. Osceola plus the 2.9 mile (each way) road walk up Tripoli road from Depot Camp. Half way to the trailhead a car stopped: Are you Mohamed? the driver asked. I had to plead guilty, turns out the driver was Skibones, going Xmas tree shopping in Lincoln.

The strange thing is that less than five minutes later another car stops, driver asks me if I want a ride. I explain that I am paying for yesterday's pigging out, appreciative nods from all. Then again the question: Are you Mohamed? Turns out they are J & J, going to do Tecumseh by the scenic route from Tripoli Road.

I had not brought any traction device, and the trail was getting increasingly icy beyond 3,800 feet. I met several groups going down, they had negotiated the icy patches with care, and like me had no traction devices. Since I was basically working off the turkey I decided that I had hiked enough, and turned around. My four pointers are back in my pack for the season, and tomorrow I will take my stabilicers with me.

They may not be needed on other trails. The Mt. Osceola trail is always wet, and with overnight temps well below freezing I should have expected ice.

Well, having failed to do Osceola yesterday, I returned today with my stabilicers. With them I had little difficulty reaching the summit, which was very crowded on this beautiful day.

I was the only person to have used traction on the mountain, and it clearly was not really necessary. Most icy spots could be bypassed (some more easily than others), and much of the ice was flat. But I was certainly much more comfortable today than I would have been had I continued yesterday.

Met Skimom and Arm at the summit, they obviously were doing both peaks.

Nice to see you persevere and go back for another go-around with the Osceolas, Mohamed! You're an inspiration yet again _ wish I'd had enough energy to head up north after pigging out myself on Turkey Day! :D

Mohamed Ellozy said:
Friday, the day we work off the turkey (and stuffing, and mashed potatoes, and other starches, and pies, and ...). I decided to do Mt. Osceola plus the 2.9 mile (each way) road walk up Tripoli road from Depot Camp. Half way to the trailhead a car stopped: Are you Mohamed? the driver asked. I had to plead guilty, turns out the driver was Skibones, going Xmas tree shopping in Lincoln.

The strange thing is that less than five minutes later another car stops, driver asks me if I want a ride. I explain that I am paying for yesterday's pigging out, appreciative nods from all. Then again the question: Are you Mohamed? Turns out they are J & J, going to do Tecumseh by the scenic route from Tripoli Road.

I had not brought any traction device, and the trail was getting increasingly icy beyond 3,800 feet. I met several groups going down, they had negotiated the icy patches with care, and like me had no traction devices. Since I was basically working off the turkey I decided that I had hiked enough, and turned around. My four pointers are back in my pack for the season, and tomorrow I will take my stabilicers with me.

They may not be needed on other trails. The Mt. Osceola trail is always wet, and with overnight temps well below freezing I should have expected ice.

I was so happpy to finally meet in person the hiking legend in the white Mountains. Skibones