Osprey Aether 60 or North Face MG55

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soco7tyx7

Reaction score
i'm in the market for a new pack and i have done some pretty extensive internet research and have narrowed it down to these two packs. i wanted something under 5 pounds and between 3500-4000 ci. and these fit my criteria. unfortunately i havent made it to any stores to try either of them on, so i'm waiting to make my definite decision untill then. if anyone could provide feedback, it would be greatly appreciated. thanx :)

The Osprey Aether 60 is a fine pack. My friend really likes his and we selected it based on similar criteria to yours. If I had to buy a pack of this type today, I would strongly consider the comparable, but lighter Granite Gear Ozone Nimbus, which gets rave reviews from AT thru hikers I talk with. Thru hikers also really like the Granite Gear Vapor Trail, which is only 2 pounds, but is only comfortable for loads in the 25-30 pound range.

I have and use the Osprey Aether 75. Its a wondeful pack with great features for the weight. The clamshell design makes big and small loads very tidy. The suspensions is just a scomfortable as my heavier Gregory pack. The hip belt tigheners are terrific and require little effort to really cich up when necessary.

I have an Aether 60, about 4 yeqrs old, and love it. I like that it is relatively light weight yet very rugged. I have had 45 pounds plus in mine and the suspension held up like a champ. It's pretty versatile... highly reccomended.

Count me as another proud owner of an Osprey Aether (75). I absolutely love it -- most comfortable pack I've ever worn. I have found myself on a couple of occasions wishing that I had the 60, though. The 75 is amazing, but it's for "more than a weekend" gear lists, and I'm not quite there yet. I think a 60 liter pack is perfect for 36-48hr trips.

Matt

thanx guys, i think i might be sold. i would use my external kelty tioga, but i think that an internal would be better for longer treks. i'm planning to do the northville-placid trail with one of my buddies and i would rather carry something a little smaller and in the 3 pound range rather than 6 pounds +. thanx again, but feel free to keep them coming. i always love to hear good things about what i'm planning on buying :)