Overboots

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mongoose

Reaction score
Does anyone here use overboots? I want to get a pair for those really, really cold days I like to be out in. :) Even with my Koflach Arctis Expes, my feet get cold when it drops below -15F or so. They'd also be good around camp or in emergencies, like if I got caught out in this recent cold spell.

I can't figure out how to size them though. The charts say to go by your shoe size. The problem with that is that the inner shoe size doesn't correlate with the outer size of the boot. My Arctis Expe boots are much larger than the Degre boots I had, even though both have the same inner shoe size.

I'm looking at the:
OR Brooks Ranger Low Overboots
MH Absolute Zero Overboot

40Below has some overboots but they are more expensive. I can get the above two for about $70.

I have a pair of Mountain Hardware Absolute Zero's. The problem with overboots is you have to wear crampons with them because there is no traction. You can't just put them on and start climbing (they are ok for flat terrain), so you are limited as to when you can wear them.

Crampons also do not fit them as well as plastic boots themselves. I have a pair of size 10 Koflack Expe's which my Grivel S-12's fit perfectly, but with my overboots they barely fit. If you have a toe bail, they won't fit at all.

As for size, my boots are a size 10, and I went with the size "Large" overboot which seems just slightly on the loose size, but I think a Medium overboot would be too small.

Excellent, my boots are a 10.5 so the Large should be perfect.

I heard about the crampon problem. Some people said they cut a hole in the front and back of their overboots in order to clear the spot where the snap on crampons snap in.

On the OR website, they say the foam can be cut out of their overboot and the cordora left intact and the toe bail will still be able to fit into the bail slot. I don't know how well that will work though. I suppose cutting a slit in the right spot is all that is needed to get the bail in the right slot. I'd have to be careful the cut doesn't compromise the boot.

Either way, the boots would be great around camp, which is where I have the biggest problem keeping my feet warm.

Glue-on type overboots

You could purchase the type of overboots that are glued to the rand, leaving the bottom Vibram intact

A couple of other good brands to look into are Climb High and Wild Things.
BUT- I believe they are made locally and I do not want to threaten world peace by buying non-USA made products...

"Supergaiters" is the term for the type of overboot that doesn't cover the sole. Try that as a search term and see what you get. You can use shoe-goo to glue them on temporarily to keep the toe section from creeping ( for awhile, at least)

La Sportiva makes some sweet ones, if only for their leather boots.

I have 40 below overboots; grivel g12 step ins just barely fit nicely with the overboots because the fabric is a bit thinner at the toe and heel; I also have buzzard supergaiters, which have a large rubber rand to leave yer sole exposed. Supergaiters are not overboots and nowhere near as warm.

I've have the OR ranger overboots. I haven't had to use them much, but they work and they are warm. They're bulky.

When not in a pack, I've taken to clipping them together and using them as a boot bag. Handy.

what about x-gaiters?

Anybody have an opinion on x-gaiters?

Anybody seen any lately...I can't find them on the net except at the manufacturer's web page....has anybody seen them at any stores?

I will use overboots when it is extremely cold, not so much for when I am moving, but for when I am stopped. Normally one doesn't want to stop for long in those conditions, but if something happens where I know I will be waiting a while, I can just pull them on and I become much more patient.

I have been caught in an unplanned bivuoac before while wearing light boots, and after getting out of that I went out and bought overboots. They give me some peace of mind that I am less likely to loose toes because someone gets injured, I break one of my skis or I just plain screw up.

They almost always come with me for winter camping. I will slip my booties in them when I need to go out and answer natures call or fetch water. I also have found that doubleboot inner liners will subsitute for booties if I put on my pile socks and leave them very loose under the overboot.