Overlook Mt - Timber Rattlesnake

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peakbagr

Reaction score
After a 'surprise' appendectomy 3 weeks ago, got cleared by the doc for an easy hike, something like Overlook with the tower observer's road almost to the top.
Took a group of 10 new hikers from the YMCA hiker's group. It was a great day to be out. I always love looking at the mountains thru the eyes of new folks and today was no exception. Mix of sun, a few sprinkles and no bugs.

Besides being 'back' in the woods (at least on easy trails for a bit) there were 2 other highlights. One being the view from the Overlook with storm clouds coming in towards the overlook, with peek a boo views through and over the clouds.
After being on Overlook many times saw my first Timber Rattlesnake. One of the isolated populations in NYS. Now I know where to look. This one was forearm-diameter, 4' to 5' in length, with an unmistakable patterened body and a black tail. It was curled on the rocks sunning itself. Without wanting to disturb it, took a half step closer for a little better photo, staying about 6' away. It sensed the vibration and up came the head, up came the tail, and the warning rattle. My day was made. Provided it a bit of a sunburn from my flash, backed up and it relaxed again. It went back under the nearby rock when the sun ducked behind a cloud, then out again in the vegetation for the other photo. Having a day like this was a really nice welcome back to the mountains.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLanding.action?c=avk6ugum.54hx1e7e&x=0&y=9atgxs&localeid=en_US

Glad you got out, Peakbagr, we were trying to find the Tower on Overlook from Smiley's tower in the 'gunks and could barely make out the DP due to the haze... We got to the tower sometime around noonish today..

Jay