Overnight Backpack in SW MASS - Need Tips

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

urbanRecon

Reaction score
I want to do an overnight backpack in the SW MASS area - Mt Everett, Mt Washington State Forests. Hiking mileage is not that big of a deal, would like a loop (only use one car - no hitch hiking). Anyone have experience with the backcountry cabins, tent sites, etc.? Any ones to avoid? Any must do trails? Any tips/experience with that area would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Props to Quietman here for sending me this map of the area 3 1/2 years ago ! Click on the bottom right to zoom once it loads. FWIW it is a pretty safe place to hitch hike as long as you "look like" a hiker. (I made the mistake of wearing my camo pants up there once and got no rides, long walk.)

You could definately do some sort of loop down the AT, through Sages and then back up the Alander side and through the State Forest. There aren't any real loops that I know of, it would involve some guesswork/planning.

Edit: it looks like you could go south over Everett and Race on the AT, through Sages and back up through the Ashley Hill or South Taconic trail to Alander and then over Alander Trail east to the Forest Headquarters, up East St to the trail that goes back to Guilder Pond above Everett and get back out that way.

Last edited:
The Mt. Washington State Forest map included with the Mass Trail guide is the best I've seen. There is a big loop I've read about, and I know others have done. It includes the AT from Jug End to Sages, west passed Frissel, north on the South Taconic to Bash Bish falls area. Then it gets fuzzy. There may be a bit of a road walk.
Lots o luck.

Great tips - that link to the S. Taconic Range is perfect.

Any info on the backcountry shelters/campsites/etc. would help too.

Glad that map is still helpful!

In the Mount Washington State Forest, the only approved backcountry camping sites are 3/4 up the Alander Trail(NOT where it is marked on the online map), Alander Cabin, and on the Appalachian trail at the designated sites and shelters only(as shown on the map).

South of Race, if you go that way, Bear Rock Falls Camping area is still closed, which is a shame: beautiful spot, worth a stop to look around the falls. Just a bit further south is the new camping area which consists of 3 CLOSE tent platforms and a privy. I'd camp in the Sages Ravine area where there are more spots that aren't as close.

Thanks for the tips - I look forward to exploring the hikes and sites in this area of MASS - will post any trail conditions on visits.

Been a while, but the top of Mt Alander had some nice spots to set up camp.
Also had a cabin near the top.