Owl's Head Bushwhack

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kurchian

Reaction score
Could someone provide some more specific information about the bushwhacks up Owl's Head?

How much mileage is saved?, how much time is saved?, does it make the stream crossings easier?, where is the bushwhack recommended?, are the bushwhacks so common that the paths are easy to locate?

thanks!

The Black Pond bushwhack saves you a mile or so and is fairly easy. You just take the side trail to Black Pond and from there, you'll see a bit of herd path (it was covered with branches when we did it) which soon disappears. You just follow the compass heading dead north and it will dump you out on the Lincoln Brook Trail. There isn't a clear path but if you keep to a north heading it will be hard to miss the Lincoln Brook Trail. (You can also very occaisionally see Owl's Head through the trees, which I found very reassuring.)

You avoid two of the brook crossings by doing the bushwhack... which we decided was the main advantage, along with cutting off some mileage... it did not save us any time. It's more difficut to try this bushwhack on the way out and we decided against trying it when heading back (which is how we know it didn't save us any time.)

-- Ivy

Edited to add: Here's a website with some info on the Black Pond bushwhack and another one: Info here

Last edited:
Kurchian said:
Could someone provide some more specific information about the bushwhacks up Owl's Head?

How much mileage is saved?, how much time is saved?, does it make the stream crossings easier?, where is the bushwhack recommended?, are the bushwhacks so common that the paths are easy to locate?

thanks!

Usually when people refer to the Owl's Head bushwhack, they are talking about cutting off the first two brook crossings by bushwhacking from the end of either the Black Pond Trail or the Franconia Falls spur trail. The Falls trail does extend beyond the Falls for some distance but once you lose it, the vegetation or dumped logs from flooding can be thick in spots. The route from Black Pond is pure bushwhack but almost entirely in open woods.
Coming back, Black Pond is a hard target to hit. The two times I've done it, I hiked down to the second brook crossing (i.e. the second one that was skipped on the way in) then headed into the woods generally keeping the brook in sight until I could find the end of the Falls spur. I've had various luck with pieces of herd paths on that route but also run into the aforementioned thick stuff. If you have bushwhacking experience it's not so bad.

You save 1.5-2 miles but not much time unless the brooks are high and hard to cross.

Very few people bushwhack up the mountain itself.

I hiked Owl's head last Saturday by Black Pond and returned by Franconia Falls. I posted a trip report that may have some more detail , if you're interested. http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=7092

Also, here's a picture of Owl's Head from Black Pond, which is what you're looking for if you want to take a compass bearing. I've also included a picture of the start of the bushwhack where the trees are downed across the path.

Black Pond Bushwhack to Owls Head

Ivy,
The reason it didn't seem any quicker is because you went North....don't do that. :)

Black Pond Bushwhack:
From the end of the Black Pond trail at black Pond follow the "deadfall" trail (pictured in adamiata's post) around to the swampy area on the west end of the pond. Skirt around the swampy area then point yourself on a 340 magnetic (compass) heading. This will bring you out on the Lincoln Brook Trail about 5/8 mile further West than going due North to the trail. The 340 heading will add about 100-150 ft of elevation gain but your feet will stay drier and you should encounter less brush. After you've bushwhacked about 3/4 of a mile you'll reach an East/West ridge. From there you should be able to hear the Lincoln Brook in the valley below (.1-.2 mile). The Trail runs East/West just South of the brook. Turn left on the trail and proceed to the Owls Head slide. (where the fun begins)

You shouldn't get lost unless you really try. :D If you go too far East you'll run into either the Lincoln or Franconia brook. Too far west and you should still pass by the corner of the Lincoln Brook Trail where it turns North...close enough to hear the Lincoln Brook below you to the right (North-East). Unless it was real cloudy you would also have a view North through the valley between Owls Head and the Franconia Ridge.

Unless you're pretty handy with a map and compass I don't recommend trying to bushwhack back across to Black Pond. If you miss that little pond it could be a long bushwhack to the Kanc. :eek:

While the Black Pond bushwhack bypasses the two worst stream crossings, particularly during the wet season the remainder of the Lincoln Brook Trail is still pretty wet...and muddy.

Other Owls Head bushwhacks:
North-West Ridge:
Rumor has it, in the days before the Lincoln Brook Trail the primary route to Owls Head was up over the Franconia Ridge or the Garfield Ridge into the valley North or West of the Owls Head summit and then either South to the slide or up the North-West ridge. The Lincoln Brook Trail now passes over this ridge between the slide and the 13 Falls Tent site. I've been told the ridge bushwhack is fairly easy though considerably longer than other routes to the summit.

East Slope Winter bushwhack:
This is mainly a Winter route I've heard mentioned here at VFTT, but I'm not very familiar with it. I believe the route starts just North of the Hellgate Brook on the Franconia Brook Trail and heads West up the side of Owls Head to the summit.

NH_Mtn_Hiker said:
Other Owls Head bushwhacks:
North-West Ridge:
Rumor has it, in the days before the Lincoln Brook Trail the primary route to Owls Head was up over the Franconia Ridge or the Garfield Ridge into the valley North or West of the Owls Head summit and then either South to the slide or up the North-West ridge. The Lincoln Brook Trail now passes over this ridge between the slide and the 13 Falls Tent site. I've been told the ridge bushwhack is fairly easy though considerably longer than other routes to the summit.
I skied the North-West Ridge about 25 yrs ago. Relatively gentle (no skins). Was mostly open trees, but some patches of spruce (we were able to avoid them on the way down). We accessed the ridge from the LBT slightly south of the height-of-land.

Was searching for any other descriptions of the route on the NW ridge. Didn't find any, but I did find a description of a descent of Lincoln slide and the bushwack down the East side of Owl's Head.
http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze2h6gy/papabear/Pemi_Trek_2004.html#day3

Doug

Last edited:
Looking at the Topo, I do agree that 340 magnetic looks like a nice route. The problem we had with 0 magnetic is that if you slip at all to the right , you instead hit the brook because the trail hasn't crossed to the south/west bank yet. So there's a little bit of rock-hopping and searching around until the fisherman's path (or the path of lost bushwhackers) is found, which will take you to the Lincoln Brook Trail just where it crosses.

340 magnetic has plenty of room to slip right. There's less room to slip left, but still you can't really get lost as the only "down" direction will take you to Lincoln Brook, and in fact there are some old logging roads, any of which will also take you back to the trail.

I think the most important thing here is knowing you've done it and the ground conditions are good! :)

Interesting. So that's between the two slides?

I still want to go up to the ledges of the "real" Owl's Head, the rock protrubence at the south side, sometime.

RoySwkr said:
For 3 BW routes to Owls Head, not including Kevin's or Doug's (who did you go with, Doug?), see http://hikenh.netfirms.com/XOwlsHTr.htm
Roy,

Nice reference. (I've seen it before, but it is still nice...)

I did it ~1981 with a friend from my college outing club. We skied Lincoln Brk Tr to a point beyond the traditional slide and camped. The next day we left our overnight gear, and continued up the LBT to a point close the the height-of-land. We attained the ridge and followed it to the summit. Fairly gentle wide ridge, mostly open trees, some patches of spruce (avoided on the way down). We then retraced our route, picked up the overnight gear, and headed out. Skied the entire way (waxable wooden skis, no skins). It should also be doable as a long day trip.

So I have skied Owl's head, but have never hiked it...

I got the idea for the trip from an AMC ski trip lisiting. More recently, some one referred to the route as "<proper name>'s northwest ridge ski route" or some such phrase. Might have been the same person as the ski trip leader.

It might make a good route to/from Camp 13 Falls. A recent VFTT report described a group hiking from Garfield to 13 Falls to Owl's head, but they followed LBT and went up the traditional slide.

Doug

Last edited:
Kevin Rooney said:
I've bushwacked a route for the past 2 winters which begins immediately after the last brook crossing. A GPSR track is here:
attachment.php
Unless Kevin dropped his GPS before the summit and picked it up on the way down, this is a second log showing that the sign is not at 4025 :)

DougPaul said:
I skied the North-West Ridge about 25 yrs ago.
I've only come in from the N once, and it seemed we passed over a place that seemed as high or higher than where the sign is (which at the time I assumed was the N 4000+ contour). There was also a rock outcrop with a good view of Franconia Ridge. Do you remember either of those?

RoySwkr said:
There was also a rock outcrop with a good view of Franconia Ridge. Do you remember either of those?
The link you posted earlier (New Hampshire Hikes and Walks ) has the following:

New Hampshire Hikes and Walks said:
Early peakbaggers sometimes had trouble finding the summit of Owls Head, and before the trail was built they sometimes hiked the whole N-S length of the ridge to be sure they bagged it somewhere. After the AMC 4000-Footer Club marked the supposed summit, Miriam Underhill found a higher point farther N with good views E (see photo in her book Give Me The Hills). The AMC 4000-Footer Club grandfathered previous ascents and supposedly moved the summit marker, but recently doubt has been raised as to whether the trail actually reaches the 4025-foot bump or stops at the previous one. If you have any energy left at the top you can bushwhack N and see if you find a higher bump or Miriam's viewpoint. See the Forum for more information and to post your GPS reading at the summit.
Has anyone read the account by Mariam Underhill with a picture which escribes a view (to the East?). Has anyone got access to that book, and is the picture posted on the net anywhere?

Eric Savage:
are you familiar with this issue?

RoySwkr said:
Unless Kevin dropped his GPS before the summit and picked it up on the way down, this is a second log showing that the sign is not at 4025 :)
Kevin's map looks like a Garmin Mapsource map. Compared it to mine, and it does look like he turned around a little south of pt 4025. Of course, there is also the question of the map accuracy and how good the GPS fix was. Looking at my NG TOPO!, the altitudes from the DEM are 10-20 ft lower than those shown on the DRG--but the high points seem to coincide. Maybe I should record a waypoint next time I'm up there (don't hold your breath...).

I've only come in from the N once, and it seemed we passed over a place that seemed as high or higher than where the sign is (which at the time I assumed was the N 4000+ contour). There was also a rock outcrop with a good view of Franconia Ridge. Do you remember either of those?
I have no recollection of any outcrops--if one was there it might have been under the snow. And since we were on skis, we probably stayed away from the edges. I just remember the views being through trees. We didn't spend time hunting for a trail, sign, or cannister--we just took a compass bearing on one of the Bonds, determined ourselves to be on (or as close as we could resolve) the summit and headed down. IIRC, we avoided most of the spruce patches by going on the east side (but this is really stretching my memory).

Doug

Last edited:
On the trip Eric and I did we went with the Black Pond bushwack on the way out at a bearing of 342, I think, and took the Fisherman's Herd Path on the way back to connect with Franconia Falls. This route was great because we avoided the crossings and it made both legs of the trip more interesting.

DougPaul said:
We didn't spend time hunting for a trail, sign, or cannister--we just took a compass bearing on one of the Bonds, determined ourselves to be on (or as close as we could resolve) the summit and headed down.
A good plan - the cairn was probably buried and the signs come & go. But did the bearing show you were on 4025 and not the next bump S :)

Don't worry, I'll count it, even if PB finds the S bump is higher :)

RoySwkr said:
A good plan - the cairn was probably buried and the signs come & go. But did the bearing show you were on 4025 and not the next bump S :)
As I recall, the compass bearing lay right across pt 4025 on the map. And, of course, the summit area is a fairly narrow ridge.

I used a mirror sighting compass so the bearing should be fairly accurate. 1 deg at 3 mi (approx distance to the Bonds) is about 300ft and, according to the topo, the S bump is 850 ft from pt 4025. So most likely we were on or near pt 4025.

Don't worry, I'll count it, even if PB finds the S bump is higher :)
Thanks--what we did is good enough for me too.

If the cannister is at the S bump, then perhaps we reached the true summit and all the hikers who turn around at the cannister will have to go back and redo it. We all wait breathlessly for PB's decision... :)

Doug

DougPaul said:
As I recall, the compass bearing lay right across pt 4025 on the map. And, of course, the summit area is a fairly narrow ridge.

I used a mirror sighting compass so the bearing should be fairly accurate. 1 deg at 3 mi (approx distance to the Bonds) is about 300ft and, according to the topo, the S bump is 850 ft from pt 4025. So most likely we were on or near pt 4025.
The very fact that you could site on Bondcliff would imnply you were not where the cairn/sign are located. The view there is next to nil. Of course it could have been more open in 1981.
If the cannister is at the S bump, then perhaps we reached the true summit and all the hikers who turn around at the cannister will have to go back and redo it. We all wait breathlessly for PB's decision... :)Doug
Though I hate to admit it, I don't run this particular Circus McGurkis. I'll have a little fun, check a few readings and write the numbers down for those interested. Maybe we can get everyone with a GPS out there together and have a party!

Note that on another thread (Look Here), the Geocache folks have fixed the location of the cairn/sign at the south bump. Presumably they took a GPS reading when they hid their box there.

I think the evidence is accumulating that the cairn/sign are on the south bump. Whether it's higher or lower or the same elevation as the x4025 bump is of course unknown until someone can measure it. Present day hiker technology may preclude that unless the difference is say 15'-20' or more. However the FTFC may decide (or not) that a spot elevation trumps an open contour. Same argument goes for Scar Ridge (where the canister is not on the x3774 bump), no?

I remember there was a bit of a view toward Bondcliff from a slightly open area just beyond the summit sign when I was there September 29, 2000. There was a big downed tree I tried to climb to get a better look, but I don't recall any significant rise, so the x-spot must have been farther north than what I went. How many feet from the sign is the x4025, anyway? Can you tell from that GPSed map somebody showed here last year?