Owl's Head

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darl58

Reaction score
We decided to go for Owl's Head as an overnight on Sat/Sun. We started out with nice sunshine and plenty of skiers on the long trek on the trails. Ended up doing the long trail over to Franconia Brook and Lincoln Brook trail to the Owl's Head slide. Brooks were frozen over for easy crossings and there were some older tracks to follow. Not our original plan but missed that left to the suspension bridge at the start to get over to the bushwack from Black Pond. No problem plenty of daylight and we made good time on the moderate terrain.

Morning brought strong winds and cold but up we got and headed over to the climb with a light pack.

The trail markings are far and few until you start up the incline so was very thankfull for you guys who broke the trail out!!! Might of missed that little orange tag without your tracks being there. Great job and thanks for the beta to go left of the slide. It was steep and the snowshoes worked for the most part, couple sections crampons would of been the best way to go. The views were incredible with the sun and blue skies from the slide. Once up over the slide, it was an easier trek through the woods to the peak, and the sign was there. The steep down climb was done all in the woods, very steep. we used lots of care going down.

Hiked out using the bushwack to Black Pond, definitly shorter but a few ups and downs with heavy packs.. Was the way to go though. Glad to be back to the car. It is a long trip but glad we did it.

I did Owl's Head last year in the summer and i LOVED IT! My trip differed from yours only in that we stayed at 13 falls instead of going back directly on Lincoln Brook to Lincoln Woods. The next day was going to hold the Garfield Ridge in store but the looming threat of thunderstorms was a turn-off. So we ended up hotfooting it, and i mean really hotfooting, out of the Pemi. It was a bit disappointing to only do one peak on my first backpacking trip but nevertheless, i had fun. ;)