Pack Question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sierra

Reaction score
I've been looking for a new daypack. I've been in Gregory's for years, but think I'm trying something new. Anyone familiar with "Mile High Mountaineering"? They make packs in CO, company is about 5 years old, a couple of young guy's. The model I'm looking at is the Salute, good reviews, not light, but tough. Would love first hand knowledge. Thanks.

I know nothing of those packs but I'll add my 2 cents if it's OK. For that size pack this is a great pack.

http://www.rei.com/product/864677/osprey-stratos-36-pack

I use it as my average hike/bushwhack, 3 season pack and love it. Very tough. 2 features this has over the one you're looking at is the air-flow mesh back and built in rain-fly. Also the Osprey trekking pole carrying system. $100 cheaper and guaranteed for life.

Would love first hand knowledge.

For my last 4 packs, I bought them online, practiced packing them at home with my own gear and used them on dayhikes (without removing tags or laying them on the ground) before I decided to keep them. That's the best first hand knowledge I can think of. Just buy it from a store with a good return policy. Good luck.

Last edited:
I love Osprey packs except for the fact in recent years they've stopped making day packs in a large size and now offer just a medium/large size. With a 27" torso they no longer make one that fits me.:mad:

I know nothing of those packs but I'll add my 2 cents if it's OK. For that size pack this is a great pack.

http://www.rei.com/product/864677/osprey-stratos-36-pack

I use it as my average hike/bushwhack, 3 season pack and love it. Very tough. 2 features this has over the one you're looking at is the air-flow mesh back and built in rain-fly. Also the Osprey trekking pole carrying system. $100 cheaper and guaranteed for life.

I'm strongly considering Osprey as well.

+1 for Osprey. Across their multiple lines, you're likely to find whatever combination of functional features you're looking for, and typically with amazingly effective back ventilation. Since my first Osprey pack 10 years ago, "wet back syndrome" (I HATE IT, esp in cold conditions) has been nothing more than a distant, annoying memory. Depending on the line, the approaches to ventilation vary. I've got first hand experience with the Atmos, Aether and Manta lines, and am on the verge of retiring a fully amortized Atmos (i.e., beaten up after years of crazed bushwhacking, rock scraping and hungry campsite rodent nibbling), to be succeeded by an Exos. And as mentioned already, Osprey's there for you in the event of a problem.

Alex

I have two Ospreys, both of which I really like. I've sent one in for repairs and they fixed stuff that wasn't really broken, but just worn, including most of the zippers. Some will argue that if it needs fixing, it wasn't that great of a pack in the first place, but the Whites are tough on equipment. I've gotten several replacement pairs of OR gaiters, arguably a very good brand, even tough they just wore out. Same for MSR snowshoes/Cascade Designs... so there is something to be said for company with a generous warranty policy.

Tim

I also can't give first hand knowledge on the brand you are asking about, but will vouch for Osprey. I have a day pack, my backpacking pack, 2 different sized ski packs, 3 different sized luggage for air travel, even my computer bag all from Osprey. I blew a rivet on one of the luggage pieces, years after I got it, and was only charged shipping for the repair (was probably a 30-cent part and 5-minute fix for them). Zero complaints.

I'm intrigued by those MHM packs, but looking through their website, I can't find anything that says where the packs are actually made. I see they're a Colorado company, but you'd think if they were a Made in the U.S.A. product, they'd be saying so clearly.....I don't see it. Anyone?

I love to buy gear made in the states when I can and their Salute 34 looks pretty sweet.

I'm intrigued by those MHM packs, but looking through their website, I can't find anything that says where the packs are actually made. I see they're a Colorado company, but you'd think if they were a Made in the U.S.A. product, they'd be saying so clearly.....I don't see it. Anyone?

I love to buy gear made in the states when I can and their Salute 34 looks pretty sweet.

I pulled the trigger on the MHM Divide 55 at REI.com because it was 20% off and my initial impression when I got it yesterday is I don't like it. Some comments:

-It seems way smaller than my Kelty Redwing 50, even though theoretically larger. (Kelty supposed to be 3100 cubic in, the MHM 3356 cubic in). The side water bottle pockets will definitely not accept a Nalgene bottle on it with a winter coozy and they are stretchable mesh so I'm not sure what else they'd be useful for.
-It is indeed heavy. The strap padding is a lot thicker than my Kelty but not ridiculously so. I haven't adjusted yet but it does seem to fit my back/posture better.
-The hip belt strap appears to be designed for very fit people. I'm relatively....ahem...rotund in the midsection and I can barely buckle it. I'm concerned with a few layers on it might not be possible. It is some sort of dual pivoting belt so there may be a second strap somewhere I'm missing that will add some diameter but right now it is snug.
-The internal stuff sack in my opinion is useless. It is accessed from the outside of one side of the pack in a small zippered "false pocket" under the Nalgene sleeve. The opening is maybe as large as the top of a Nalgene coozy and the sack is at the bottom of the pack so the weight of all your contents is sitting on it. This might be fine if you stuff it first but if you use whatever you put in it and then have to put it back I'd suspect it will be a huge pain in the ass.
-The lid compartment on the top is pretty small, much smaller than my Kelty 50.
-The pack has very heavy duty zippers that open from top and bottom (i.e. like full zip rain or shell pants) so contents can be accessed at bottom while leaving most of pack sealed, which is nice. It also opens up completely by unzipping at both ends.
-The two bottom straps (where you would strap z-fold padding or a tent or whatever) are a bad design. I couldn't understand the reviews on this feature online but now that I have it I understand. One end clips to the base of pack (just like the lid clip or hip belt clip). The other end though has an oval shaped plastic piece that slips through a loop. So if it is not super tight it can just fall out. (It works the same was as the T shaped clips that hold open the door or rainfly on a tent). One reviewer of this pack complained that every time she sat down they came undone and contents fell out. I get what she means now.
-There are some other nice details such as tool loops that have a clip/belt to tighten and secure (like you do with a hood on a shell).

I'm hopefully going to be trying it out tomorrow loaded up. Unless the heavily padded suspension is a true delight versus my other packs or it winds up being more roomy than it appears this will likely be going back to the store. Too expensive to be futzing around with it and compromising on features.

Thanks for the review. In light of the overwhelming positive feedback for the Osprey, and my impression from looking at them in EMS the other day, I'm going Osprey. Daytrip, sorry if my thread caused you a PITA.;)

Thanks for the review. In light of the overwhelming positive feedback for the Osprey, and my impression from looking at them in EMS the other day, I'm going Osprey. Daytrip, sorry if my thread caused you a PITA.;)

Until and unless Osprey quality and service drops off, I doubt I will even look at another pack again. I have no complaints with them after my last two packs....which are both still in regular use.

Actually not at all Sierra. I took it out on Flume yesterday (via Lincoln Woods and Osseo). 11+ miles with a 29 lb load. The suspension system is indeed very comfortable. I think I need to tweak the torso length but otherwise very comfortable. All the adjustment straps have nice large thumb loops for quick easy adjustment. And it does have plenty of room. Everything I usually carry fit easily inside main chamber, which is taller and narrower than my Kelty but spacious (and the taller and narrower loading profile really helps keep it tight to back and prevent swaying, which I'm sure further contributes to the comfortable suspension). And the best part is the double zipper on both sides. You can just lay the pack on it's side, and unzip the whole side like a duffel bag for effortless access to your entire contents. I "categorize" all of my stuff into 3-4 Sea-To-Summit color coded dry bags so I faced the openings all in same direction so I could simply open the stuff sack I wanted, take what I wanted and reclose without even having to take it out of the pack.

The top lid, outside bottle holders and the internal stuff sack I still find to be useless but given how easily the inside is accessed it really doesn't matter. And the hip belt is really snug, which is perplexing considering the more than ample range of adjustment for all the other straps. I think I'm going to contact company about that. Maybe there is an adjustment somewhere I'm missing. I'll have to tweak my packing methodology a bit to accommodate the way I get to the contents but all in all I've done a total "180" on my original assessment. Looking forward to another hike with it to tweak my routine a bit and maybe get more weight in it.