Paddle Gatheringin the ADK?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe everyone could rent their own site at Rollins or Fish Creek ponds and do day paddles out of this area

That does sound like the best thing to do....is this an area that is central to other day paddle places for paddlers with many abilities?.....for those of you with experience and the knowledge chime in with ideas....

Sounds like we just can't go out with 20 people paddling down a river together, is that the same rule on Long Lake or Little Tupper...just asking...down south here in Long Island our club sometimes has day trips with up to 30 people paddling together...of course it ends up breaking into smaller groups because of ability, interests, talking....we did need a permit I think when we paddled way down south in Maryland.

If you want to get a backcountry group site find your preference and then limit the group to capacity, with the first ones to pay getting to play.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "pay to play," but it should be noted that if you charge for a trip, it could fall under the jurisdiction of a "guided trip," for which a license is needed. Generally, if you charge only for reimbursement of expenses, you're OK, but if the trip leader turns a profit as a result of charging for a trip he leads, he'd better be licensed.

If you want to open it up to a larger group, look for a campground with group facilities on a waterway.

That does sound like the best thing to do....is this an area that is central to other day paddle places for paddlers with many abilities?.....for those of you with experience and the knowledge chime in with ideas....

Rollins Pond and Fish Creek Ponds are near the Saranac Lakes Wild Forest and the St. Regis Canoe Area. Both have ample opportunities for paddling and are accessible via waterways that connect to the campgrounds.

Last edited:
Stan, sounds nice but that might be another trip to set us with a few friends....thought I'd just throw out the idea of a paddle gathering like a hiking one...

DSettahr..that sounds nice

Rollins Pond and Fish Creek Ponds are near the Saranac Lakes Wild Forest and the St. Regis Canoe Area. Both have ample opportunities for paddling and are accessible via waterways that connect to the campgrounds.[/QUOTE]

I know I should do some reading up on this first but folks like you have first hand info....thx....how's the bug situation in late July?....Water levels?....Are the motor boaters all over the place or the smaller rivers are safer?....thx CF

I know I should do some reading up on this first but folks like you have first hand info....thx....how's the bug situation in late July?....Water levels?....Are the motor boaters all over the place or the smaller rivers are safer?....thx CF

You can expect to see motor boats in the Saranac Lakes Wild Forest, especially on Fish Creek Ponds and the Saranac Lakes themselves. If you want a more wilderness experience, I'd go with Rollins Pond... there's a horsepower limitation on that pond, so you're only likely to see small trolling motors on canoes.

Rollins Pond is also closer to the St. Regis Canoe Area, which is managed as a wilderness area. Simply paddle up to the northern end of the pond, carry (it's actually an easy walk down the stream bed) into Floodwood Pond, paddle to the northern end of Floodwood, stop and check out the St. Regis Canoe Outfitters store here, and carry into Long Pond, and presto! You're in the St. Regis Canoe Area! There is a bit of a longer carry to get into the heart of the canoe area, but you're there. There's also other options for padding near Rollins Pond without being interupted by motor boats, Little Square Pond, Whey Pond, Copperas Pond, Polywog Pond, Horseshoe Pond...

You can do a nice loop from Rollins Pond by going Rollins > Floodwood > Little Square > Copperas > Whey > Rollins. You could also spot a car at Fish creek and instead go Rollins > Floodwood > Little Square > Fish Creek > Square Pond.

Some more long reaching options include the nine carries to Paul Smith's College (spot a car at Paul Smiths), or padding from Fish Creek to Saranac Lake (the town of) by going Square Pond > Upper Saranac Lake > Middle Saranac Lake > Go through the locks to Lower Saranac Lake (a pretty neat experience) > end either in ampersand bay, or head to First Pond > Second Pond > Oseetah Lake > Lake Flower > end at the town of Saranac Lake.

You can also get into the Raquette River from Upper Saranac Lake by taking Indian Carry to Stony Creek Ponds > Raquette River. From here it's possible to paddle downstream to Tupper Lake, or upstream to Long Lake (although this would be a long trip against the current, probably taking more than 1 day from Fish Creek).

The lakes in the St. Regis Canoe area, and those in between the St. Regis Canoe Area and Rollins Pond/Fish Creek, are primarily spring fed. Due to the sandy glacial outwash here, much of the water flow is underground. As a result, you've got lots of lakes and ponds but few or no waterways connecting them, so generally you're going to have to carry between them.

Last edited:

The bugs will be doing just fine in July, but mostly only mosquitoes. Plenty of water - no problem there. Power boats all over Square Pond (Fish Creek Pond Campground), but not so bad on Upper Saranac Lake just because it's so big that there's plenty of room for everyone, and USL is a great lake for kayaks. No motors allowed once you get a short distance up Fish Creek from Square Pond, only small motors (fishing boats) on Rollins Pond, and no motors at all in the St. Regis Canoe Area Wilderness. The Fish Creek Ponds area is a wonderful place for pond-hopping day trips in a canoe.

Last edited:
I'm not quite sure what you mean by "pay to play," but it should be noted that if you charge for a trip, it could fall under the jurisdiction of a "guided trip," for which a license is needed. Generally, if you charge only for reimbursement of expenses, you're OK, but if the trip leader turns a profit as a result of charging for a trip he leads, he'd better be licensed.

No, I didn't intend to set up an official guide relationship, though I think caution should be exercised in not implying one, especially if one is in fact a licensed guide.

Some of the expenses that may be shared include: campsite and registration fees, shared food and beverage costs, locally procured firewood (aside from dead and down), dancing girls etc. It is common that the ringleader, or the person spending the time and fronting the costs, have all or part of their share paid by the remaining participants; AMC volunteer led activities work this way so the word "profit" should be used with caution as to the meaning and context.

Some of the less desireable group expenses can include fines, damages, clean up costs, bail, ... :eek: ... gad, we almost had all of that one year in Vermont ... fortunately, teejay, collected from us and made good ... then at the end of the year he sent around a holiday greeting with a gift representing the balance left over from his collection ... I was very happy with the new tent and canoe he sent me ... :D

Some of the less desireable group expenses can include fines, damages, clean up costs, bail, ... :eek: ... gad, we almost had all of that one year in Vermont ... fortunately, teejay, collected from us and made good ... then at the end of the year he sent around a holiday greeting with a gift representing the balance left over from his collection ... I was very happy with the new tent and canoe he sent me ... :D

Stan, i was there on the Vermont trip and paid a little extra "bail" money...my tent was a little to close to the party that night...still got that tequilla? :rolleyes:

Dancing girls?...I must have had to much of the dr. that night...that is some serious stuff, no more for me....

DSettahr, you have a ton of info and a newbi like me is very appreciative....so do I ask which weekend works best July 23-25 or July 30-Aug 1?...I know it's long off from now but this way I can write in on the calendar...so, ya think we can try it?...I'll do some calling for group camp sites, then I'll post it on the trips forum....if anyone else has some ideas just chime in....

I just checked reserve america and it looks like everyone else has the same idea.....pretty much all water sites are taken....I found a few sites together across the road away from the water...4 sites....162 164 166 168 and 171 179 180 191......I called the DEC # to find out about group sites only got an answering machine.....the weekends I checked were 7/23 which had the above sites and 7/30 which had pretty much nothing......are private campgrounds better to go and then drive to launch sites?....

latest update...spoke to DEC today...

There are only 2 group sites and they are on middle Saranac Lake #65 and #71....12 people allowed on each site....these are islands that u need to paddle to.....sounds nice but I don't want to deal with all the motor boats.....and for those coming in late Friday you would have to paddle in the dark, maybe it's not so bad this time of the year but during the summer that place I heard is crowded....

I'm currently waiting to hear from Ranger Dassage about group size paddling and the rules, just want to confirm with them, don't want any tickets.....seems like the best place is Rollins and just go through Reserve america...I wrote some sites that were next to each other on previous posts....you can have up to 6 people at a site but I wonder how many cars?..I'm guessing 2....sites i believe cost $20 per night...the water sites were all taken but after a day of paddling I'm sure I won't miss the water when bbqing and sitting around..

I know trips like this are hit or miss with the weather but isn't that what we're used to?...I'd like to make it July 16-18 or 23-25......Do I try to set up one of those "poles"?....Seems like this also is a good place for all types of boats, rec, canoes, longer kayaks....

thx for correction....eyes went 2 years ago and now it's the ears :eek:

Guess your familiar with him? I'm trying to become a trip leader for the paddling club that I belong to and I'm working on my homework. :D

How am i doing so far?....any other ideas or concerns that you can offer me?

If it's a car camping/boating trip I can even bring a table! Pancakes it is!...I've been lowering my red meat intake but I think a few skirt steaks would taste real yummy.....

Now seriously, I know there might be a few negatives involved...
1. Cost of site ($20) maybe more with Reserve America Fees?
but sites can be shared...

2. Can't stay up till 2am partying and noisy....
getting a good night sleep will help for the next day paddling

I think the longer we wait the possibility of less camp sites at Rollins disappears.. Jay, will you be around that time.....also wanted to talk to you about a day trip or overnighter on the Hudson with RockySummit and others..

Rollins Pond is a perfect choice for you. The options for day trips are limitless providing, something for just about everyone. A nice leisurely trip is the loop through Floodwood Cooperas, and Whey. If you stay at Rollins you need to be on the water that is what makes it so appealing. Look for sites in the 240’s or 50's these give you good access to Floowood Pond and a bit of privacy. Stop in at St Regis Outfitter at the far end of Flood wood. Their site will also give you more detailed information on the paddling options in the area.

http://www.canoeoutfitters.com/routes.html

posted on trips....i reserved a site for july 16 and 17....site 100.....some folks on adkhighpeaks are attending.....time for some viewsfromthewater.....