Parking Pass Machine at Diana's Bath

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't frequent fee lots of late, but this is first one I have seen at a WMNF lot. GIven many of the fee lots lack power and data, I dont expect them to be in all the lots.

Attachments

• 20240520_152917[1].jpg
    20240520_152917[1].jpg
    582.8 KB · Views: 2
I don't frequent fee lots of late, but this is first one I have seen at a WMNF lot. GIven many of the fee lots lack power and data, I dont expect them to be in all the lots.
Iron Ranger gone digital. Interesting to find out what the compliance rate is.

Iron Ranger gone digital. Interesting to find out what the compliance rate is.
In theory I wouldn't think it would change at all. It's not like people know the old school paper envelope rangers aren't there. They just roll the dice that a ranger won't check the lot and envelopes. Just because it is digital doesn't really change that. If they don't want to pay the fee they aren't going to pay the fee.

The convenience of just sliding a debit card and getting a pass I suppose could lead to a better conversion rate if it is a truly quick and easy transaction. I would wonder about vandalism and maintenance with these machines though. Could wind up increasing costs more than any offsetting fee capture it might provide. And if the unit is out of service what is the back up? Are there still paper envelopes or are the fees just lost until unit is repaired? And what if you pay and your pass doesn't spit out? Now what? I'm guessing it would be awhile to get a repair guy out there considering how stretched resources are currently.

In theory I wouldn't think it would change at all. It's not like people know the old school paper envelope rangers aren't there. They just roll the dice that a ranger won't check the lot and envelopes. Just because it is digital doesn't really change that. If they don't want to pay the fee they aren't going to pay the fee.

The convenience of just sliding a debit card and getting a pass I suppose could lead to a better conversion rate if it is a truly quick and easy transaction. I would wonder about vandalism and maintenance with these machines though. Could wind up increasing costs more than any offsetting fee capture it might provide. And if the unit is out of service what is the back up? Are there still paper envelopes or are the fees just lost until unit is repaired? And what if you pay and your pass doesn't spit out? Now what? I'm guessing it would be awhile to get a repair guy out there considering how stretched resources are currently.
Wasn’t really implying this new method ( Digital vs Analog) would increase or decrease compliance. More just interested about compliance in general because it is such a busy spot. This is another case IMO as I mentioned in another thread that if you build it they will come. At least the roadside parking has been quelled back a bit.

Every time I have been by there recently, the lot has been staffed. Not sure compliance could increase much.

Every time I have been by there recently, the lot has been staffed. Not sure compliance could increase much.
That was my next question. Although not full time. Believe it or not when your local and just need to stretch your legs you get to know the off times when to be there and not. I have never seen an attendant there at those times.

We ran Grizzley primitive campground in Keystone SD last year for the Feds and probably 50% of the fcfs campers came with out cash. Lucky for them there was a ATM 10 min away. I would of loved a machine like this there. Also many wanted to pay with their phone apps. Ha. At least here the feds are ahead of it or trying.

Wasn’t really implying this new method ( Digital vs Analog) would increase or decrease compliance. More just interested about compliance in general because it is such a busy spot. This is another case IMO as I mentioned in another thread that if you build it they will come. At least the roadside parking has been quelled back a bit.

Yah I don't think that particular spot would be a god litmus test for the rest of the Whites. Is a uniquely convenient, tourist-centric spot with tremendous attendance. I wonder if this unit was intended to reduce the staffing at the location and save some money that way. I haven't been there in decades.

It was major local issue in Conway area during Covid. The staffing is or was paid by the town despite it being a USFS fee parking area. It a gold mine, unlike hiker lots, folks are typically only there for an hour or less and the lot stays full. Technically I did not see any conduits or power feeds or solar panels so it would interesting to see how they keep it powered. My guess is its got a cellular connection.

Then again it could also be an incredible opportunity for credit card fraud where someone installed an official looking device in parking lot ;)

Met a visitor in Lincoln Woods lot last summer who was walking around seeking change for a 20 so as to pay the parking fee with cash. A card system would be simpler for many these days.

Maybe dropped by a helicopter? If it's the size of the one at Diana's Baths, I'd hate to have to lug that baby up the mountain. I'm calling in sick that day. :cool:

I saw 2 others last week. One was at the Crawford connecter lot. Can't remember where I saw the other. Possibly Arethusa Falls/Frankenstein Cliff.