Partners for longer hikes this summer!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klimber

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am looking for hiking partners for a longer hike this summer. I was planning to do the long trial or the Northville placid trail, but may be considering others of comparable length in New England as well. I’d like to leave early June, the bugs in may can be rough!
I have organized several trips for friends in the past (biggest was 6 people for 4 days), but none seem too keen on the idea of a longer hike this season. I do not have the knowledge to this type of trip alone. Similarly, I prefer to keep a moderate pace doing 10-12 miles a day, but I could train extra to keep up if I needed. Ideal partners would be someone who could share both the load and their wisdom with me, to help me improve my skills.

KZKlimber said:
Hey -are we related? :D

Who knows man. maybe we were brothers in a past life or something. I was planning on getting some top roping lessons and new equipment thus summer. The only place that I could find that gives lessons/equipment sales is EMS. Do you know of anywhere else?

In the ADKs I know of Rock and River and Alpine Adventures - both guide services. Never used them myself but I've run into RL Stoltz and Ian Osteyee along some ice routes during the winter and have heard good things about their services. In the Whites I have heard of Rhinocerous Guides and have done a trip with Bartlett Backcountry Adventures. Bartlett gets a high rating from me!!!

I'll be on Denali this June participating in the Alaska Mountaineeirng School. If you want to do a through hike multi day expedition I'd reccomend the AT in the Whites; Franconia Notch to Crawford Notch to Pinkham notch is a good 6-7 days if I remember right. There are lots of NH folks on this board who can give you advice about that. The Northville Placid trail is a lot more flat and remote (less people) but not as scenic. I've nver done any of the LT.

The bugs will be murder on the Northville-Lake Placid in June, on the Long Trail it'll be a tossup. Just a head's up.

Let's talk.

Hey, I want to hike N-P trail this summer. I've been planning solo as I can't cajole anyone into going with me, but I'd be open to a hiking with someone else. Plan about 10 - 12 mi./day. Prolly not "true" start, but recommended Benson etc., point-to-point.

PS - I'm planning early July hike date.

Whattayathink?

KZKlimber said:
In the ADKs I know of Rock and River and Alpine Adventures - both guide services. Never used them myself but I've run into RL Stoltz and Ian Osteyee along some ice routes during the winter and have heard good things about their services. In the Whites I have heard of Rhinocerous Guides and have done a trip with Bartlett Backcountry Adventures. Bartlett gets a high rating from me!!!
KZ you really know your guides!
Ian is a beast. if you can climb ice with him, do it. he has put up some amazing routes in the dacks, and is totally pushing the limits of mixed climbing. You will get way good way fast with him.
RL and Karen have a great, reputable operation. A bit more conservative, but still top notch. He has been foing his stuff for 20 years ish in the dacks.
In the whites, Steve Nichapor at bartlett runs a first class operation as well. his Avi classes and ski classes would get a thumbs up from me. if you're looking to climb casual ice, he's great too, but if you want to push it, check out marc chauvin at chauvin guides, or give imcs a call and see if you can hook up with Kevin M, Ben G, or Freddie W.

PhillyGeo said:
Hey, I want to hike N-P trail this summer. I've been planning solo as I can't cajole anyone into going with me, but I'd be open to a hiking with someone else. Plan about 10 - 12 mi./day. Prolly not "true" start, but recommended Benson etc., point-to-point.

PS - I'm planning early July hike date.

Whattayathink?
I'd like to do some medium length trails this summer. 10-12 miles per day is a good pace for me, and early July might work.

What do you mean by "true" start?

Yup

... "sli74" summarized it perfectly re starting points. I'd rather not walk roads if I can avoid it.

I've got friends in N'ville who've already agreed to pick up in Placid, so rides would be set.

I would be seriously jazzed to do this hike, a long dream of mine, so I guess a pm would be a good idea if anyone else is interested.

Hey everyone,
Sorry I haven’t posted anything in my own thread recently... after I didn't get any replies for a few weeks, I changed plans and am doing some extra course work this summer, so now I’m not available. Good luck to anyone who plans a similar trip from this thread!

Yeah ... we're getting organized

At least a couple of us are trying to get organized for a N-P trail hike. I'd encourage anyone else who might be interested to feel free to chime in.

Summer hiking partner needed

Greetings,
You may already be out on the trail by now (June 4) but just in case I'd like to let you know that I am planning to hike for about two weeks this July or August, and I am also open for ideas as to where and when that would take place. I did the entire Long Trail last summer in about a month so I might have the kind of experience you are looking for. I would rather go someplace other than Vermont this summer, however. I'm a 51 year old music teacher who carries a tiny travel guitar, hence the trailname. Strummystick

Welcome to VFTT, Strummystick! I'm a guitarist myself. Do you hike in the Catskills? I'll doing a bit of hiking up there this summer and might be interested in doing a long backpack later in August someplace else, was thinking of Vermont or Maine.

If the timing works I might also be game for the NLP in the ADK's, but wouldn't know till later this summer.

Leaving on Monday

Hey FF, or whomever. I'm hitting the trail next week (July 17th) for two weeks on the AT from Killington on up North. I might even make it to the Whites, if I'm lucky.
Wouldn't it be a gas some time to hook up with another hiking guitarist. I actually use a tiny three string standard McNally Strumstick (go to strumstick.com) that's tuned down to dad" so the whole kit with a case weighs less than 2 lbs. Let's talk about the future, whadayasay?
Strummystick

Looking to finish what I started ...

Okay kiddies,

'Frosty' and I started out on NPT on July 30th. Unfortunately, he was taken ill several days later, so as he rested up, I continued on with another hiker. While the trail isn't technical, I felt more comfortable hiking with someone as I did not know what to expect, particularly through the West Canada Wilderness.

The second hiking partner decided on some off-trail diversions (Adk Museum) once we hit Lake Durant. Nothing wrong with that, I simply didn't have the time in my schedule to risk the trip taking longer than the scheduled ten days.

Soooooo .... I'm looking for another victim, errrrr, "partner" to complete the remainder of the hike. I assure you I am capable and self-sufficient enough for true trail-worthiness. I can be ready to go at the drop of a hat. So the remaining section is from Lake Durant to Lake Placid, or what some call the prettiest part of the N-P trail.

Anyone, anyone? Bueller?

Last edited: