Pemi Questions ...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doc McPeak said:
One more question about the Bondcliff trail. The book says last sure water at the 2nd crossing. Do you think the brook will be running at some of the higher crossings in this rainy year?

The third and fifth crossings were very robust this past Friday. Fourth completely dry. The fifth crossing sometimes trickles below the bolders and you can get access up or downstream from the crossing.

Eric (Tuco) and I just came back from a 3-nighter in the Pemis... Might be able to answer some of your questions though I lost count of the stream crossings on Bondcliff. We started on the Garfield Tr and stayed the first night at 13 Falls (Caretaker is there, didn't ask him how late he stays there though). Little did I know since i've never camped in the Whites there's an $8/person fee. Well, lets say that we didn't stay in another campsite although we were planning on staying at Garfield Ridge on Sunday night.

We camped on night 2 about a mile up the Bondcliff trail from Wilderness at a stream crossing. Not one of the Black brook crossing but on my AMC White mountains map, is the second stream that feeds into the Black Brook..

That area is very thick but since I wasn't familiar with the area and I knew once the trail headed north, it would be hard to find a spot so we decided to camp off the trail but not far from the stream. The camp we had was very very marginal though. The next day, as we climbed bondcliff, I noticed the forest opens up a lot and there are most likely legal campsites in this area that is a helluva lot better than the one Eric and I stayed at.

The second day, after going all the way over Bondcliff, Bond, etc. etc. and at the Galehead hut, we decided to find a site off the Gale River Trail rather than stay at Garfield Ridge so we hiked down and found a spot next to the Gale River. Nice spot on the other side of the river.

I know there was a falls and stream crossing somewhat after the real steep climb to Bondcliff but I don't know what # crossing this is that you all talk about. It is full of large boulders and if you look out, you look into a ravine before you cross it and head up some more. This stream is definitely flowing and definitely filterable. At least as of 8-29/04 when we went by. It rained ALL NIGHT on saturday night and we had about a 1/2 hour of intense tstorm pass by on Sunday night, all heat related storms that flare up just past sunset....

Jay

Thanks everyone for the water scoops!

I'll keep an eye on the weather for the next 2 weeks and go from there. It sounds like there is water up past 3000'? Do you guys remember a ball park elevation?

Jay, thanks for the camping scoops. We will probably camp near the end of the Cedar Brook Trail.

Doc McPeak said:
It sounds like there is water up past 3000'? Do you guys remember a ball park elevation?

The fifth crossing is at approx. 3100 feet. It's the one with the large boulders Jay referred to.

Yes, that sounds about right to me. Eric had a cheap barometric altimeter watch thing and I know we camped around 2000 which was before the real climb to Bondcliff started..

It's a great hike (even in the haze with no views!)

Jay

Lots of bear activity in the Cedar Brook Trail area. Also, alot of that area is off limits to camping as it pretty camped out. Most of the established spots had a 'no-camping' sign in them. But, it is all hardwoods so you should find a spot.

Doc McPeak asked "Also: We may opt for a hotel room in Lincoln that friday. Any suggestions? I know some of the Inns sometimes do a shuttle service for customers."

The Carriage Motel on the main drag in North Woodstock has reasonable rates, a lot of through hikers spend a night there, and I think that the owners might shuttle you around for a fee.

The Pemi Pale Ale at Woodstock Station across the street from the Carriage Motel is one of the hoppiest brews to be found anywhere in the Northeast.

Dr. Dasypodidae said:
The Pemi Pale Ale at Woodstock Station across the street from the Carriage Motel is one of the hoppiest brews to be found anywhere in the Northeast.

Yes, it was. Just how I like 'em! The Pig's Ear was tasty too!

Thanks for all the help, everyone!!! We had an amazing tour around and through the Pemi Wilds. I'll post a trip report soon with many many great pics.