Pemi Traverse (ski)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peaks

Reaction score
On Sunday, 3/11/12, we did #23 in Dave Goodman's Best Backcountry skiing. Ice bridges still intact across major streams, but I suspect that one warm day will be the end of them for this season. Wet spots opening up. Most were easily skirted, but we had to take skis off four times to rock hop across a few.

Route: Saturday: 302 to Zealand Fall hut, Sunday: Ethan Pond Trail to Thoreau Falls Trail to Wilderness Trail to Cedar Brook Trail to Pemi East Side Trail.

On Sunday, 3/11/12, we did #23 in Dave Goodman's Best Backcountry skiing. Ice bridges still intact across major streams, but I suspect that one warm day will be the end of them for this season. Wet spots opening up. Most were easily skirted, but we had to take skis off four times to rock hop across a few.

Route: Saturday: 302 to Zealand Fall hut, Sunday: Ethan Pond Trail to Thoreau Falls Trail to Wilderness Trail to Cedar Brook Trail to Pemi East Side Trail.

Good job! I haven't been there this winter, but, I'm trying to imagine what it was like....I love the area south of Thoreau Falls. Was there much evidence of anyone else out there? Had anyone skied Thoreau Falls/North Fork (on the river)? Was the kick-and-glide good? Did you have to break a lot of trail?

No evedence that anyone had gone past Thoreau Falls to about half way down the Thoreau Falls Trail to a point where the Thoreau Falls Trail had been washed out by Irene (I assume). There was evidence of someone snowshoeing up to that point. Since the last snow, no one has skied the Spruce Goose trail, and Ethan Pond Trail past Whitehall slide, and Thoreau Falls Trail, and Wilderness Trail. First recent tracks were at Cedar Brook trail. Once we left Zealand Hut, we didn't see another person until we arrived at Lincoln Woods parking area.

Breaking trail was not an issue. There was a couple of inches of new snow (from the last snowfall) over a consolidated base. We didn't break through.

Both of us had fish scales, so kick and glide was not an issue. However, as the sun warmed up the snow, it did stick. But quickly remedied maxi-glide. A few pictures posted at: https://picasaweb.google.com/112131808575188328366/20120312?authkey=Gv1sRgCLTysfetwMXOOg#

No evedence that anyone had gone past Thoreau Falls to about half way down the Thoreau Falls Trail to a point where the Thoreau Falls Trail had been washed out by Irene (I assume). There was evidence of someone snowshoeing up to that point. Since the last snow, no one has skied the Spruce Goose trail, and Ethan Pond Trail past Whitehall slide, and Thoreau Falls Trail, and Wilderness Trail. First recent tracks were at Cedar Brook trail. Once we left Zealand Hut, we didn't see another person until we arrived at Lincoln Woods parking area.

Breaking trail was not an issue. There was a couple of inches of new snow (from the last snowfall) over a consolidated base. We didn't break through.

Both of us had fish scales, so kick and glide was not an issue. However, as the sun warmed up the snow, it did stick. But quickly remedied maxi-glide. A few pictures posted at: https://picasaweb.google.com/112131808575188328366/20120312?authkey=Gv1sRgCLTysfetwMXOOg#

Great info!!! And good pics!!! Sounds like you hit the timing exactly right - that area can require tough trail-breaking if the timing isn't good - a non-issue for you!!! Also, the Thoreau Falls Trail is not always easy to find in winter!!! Thanks for the detail!!!

Good job on the traverse. I'm holding my breath and doing snowdances for this weekend. We'll be skiing from 302 to Zealand Hut.

Great info!!! And good pics!!! Sounds like you hit the timing exactly right - that area can require tough trail-breaking if the timing isn't good - a non-issue for you!!! Also, the Thoreau Falls Trail is not always easy to find in winter!!! Thanks for the detail!!!

Repeat ski on March 9 & 10, 2013. This time Julie and I were joined by several others.

Ample coverage even on the sunny spots along the Spruce Goose Ski Trail. Otherwise, spring conditions.

Ice bridges still in place, but the wet spots are starting to open up along the southern part of the Pemi Wilderness section. Like last year, most of us took skis off for 3 or 4 gulley crossings.

A party of4 passed us, sking light and faster than we were. The route was tracked out, presumably by another group the prior weekend.

Bluebird day on Saturday.

Repeat ski on March 1 & 2, 2014.

First: almost everything is snow covered. Ice bridges still in place. Very few wet spots and open water. Only needed to take skis off once to cross a small stream. Gulleys are there, but snow in the bottom. No evidence of anyone on the Thoreau Falls Trail since last major snowstorm several weeks ago.

General conditions: breakable crust with light snow covering on top from flurries, but you don't sink in more than an inch or two. I'd expect conditions to hold until after the next warm weather.

Zealand Road, Zealand Trail and East Side Trail which get heavy traffic are hard, icy, and fast. Not a pleasant ski along these trails.

As of Sunday 3/2/14, the ice/snow bridges were intact on the Shoal Pond Tr version of the traverse. Snow conditions on the SPT were 1/2 (S end)--3 (N end) inches of snow over breakable crust. Agree with Peaks on ZR, ZT, and EST conditions.

Doug

Last edited: